Academic Catalog

Undergraduate Credits


Kettering University designates the classification of students, regardless of the degree program being pursued, according to the total earned hours accumulated.

Classification Code Earned Hours
Freshman FRI 0-11
Freshman FRII 12-23
Sophomore SOI 24-39
Sophomore SOII 40-55
Junior JRI 56-71
Junior JRII 72-87
Senior SRI 88-103
Senior SRII 104-119
Senior SRIII 120 and above

Note:  Major classification (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.) is subdivided into the classification code (FRI, FRII, SOI, SOII, etc.) for internal tracking of progress and estimation of the expected graduation date.

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar

Transfer Credits

New Transfer Students

Students transferring to Kettering University may receive earned hours for a Kettering course for which they have taken an equivalent course (in content and level) at their previous institution. 

The following conditions apply:

  • Transfer credit is accepted only from accredited colleges and universities.
  • Upon receipt of transfer credit information from the Admissions Office, coursework will be evaluated for transferability to Kettering University, along with applicability to the student's degree requirements. 
  • Only courses in which a C (2.0 on a 4.0 grade scale) or higher were earned will be evaluated for transfer credit.
  • Only the credit will transfer; the grades do not transfer and will not affect the GPA. 
  • A maximum of 72 earned hours may be awarded by transfer upon admission.
  • Any requests for transfer coursework review must be submitted along with any requested supporting documentation by the end of the student’s first academic term.
  • Final official transcripts are required to be mailed or received electronically from the student’s transferring institution(s) prior to registration for the next academic term. 
  • Transfer evaluations are processed by the Registrar’s Office (

Current Students

Students enrolled in a Kettering University degree program may take selected coursework at other institutions if the need arises and the opportunity is available. Such transfer credits are called "guest credit." Students who want to take a course at another institution and transfer the credits to Kettering University must have the course approved prior to registration at the other institution. 

The following conditions apply:

  • Guest transfer credit is accepted only from accredited colleges and universities.
  • Guest Application Form must be completed by the student and submitted to the Office of the Registrar for approval.  Note:  Even if a course is listed on the Course Equivalency System, it does not guarantee approval.  Official approval is obtained by completing the Guest Application and receiving all required signatures of approval.  The Office of the Registrar will send an email to the student’s Kettering email account confirming approval or non-approval. 
  • Students should consult with their advisor to confirm the course being taken as guest credit will apply towards their degree requirements before registering for the course. 
  • A maximum of 12 guest transfer credits are allowed while a student is in active status. 
  • The course must carry a grade of C (2.0) or above to transfer.  Grades of C- or below are not transferable. 
  • Only the credit will transfer. The grades do not transfer and will not affect the GPA.  Therefore, the grades cannot replace grades earned at Kettering University.  This means credit for a guest course can earn credit for a failed Kettering course but the Kettering course grade will remain on the student transcript and in the GPA.
  • The course repeat policy only affects courses repeated at Kettering University.  Guest credits do not qualify under this policy.  
  • Courses approved for guest credit do not eliminate pre-requisite requirements.
  • Independent Study work is not transferable.

Free Elective Transfer Credits

Courses taken outside of Kettering University that do not correspond to an existing Kettering University discipline may be transferred as FREE-297 or FREE-497. 

The following conditions apply:

  • A course is eligible under this policy if the course is from an institution with U.S. regional accreditation. 
  • A course from an institution outside the U.S. will be considered for FREE-297/FREE-497 if the course is from an institution which has been approved for transfer of courses with Kettering University equivalents.
  • The course must be considered non-remedial at both Kettering University and the transfer institution.
  • Courses at the 100 or 200 level at the transfer institution will be transferred as FREE-297.
  • Courses at the 300 or 400 level at the transfer institution will be transferred as FREE-497. 
  • A minimum of 2400 classroom minutes in one or more courses is required for four credits of FREE-297/FREE-497.  A number of credits different from four is not allowed.
  • A student should receive academic advising from their degree department before initiating the process of transferring FREE-297/FREE-497.
  • The number of credits of FREE-297/FREE-497 shall be limited to the number of Free Electives in the student’s degree program that have not already been fulfilled through other transfer or Kettering courses.
  • Current Kettering students may apply for FREE-297/FREE-497 credit through the normal Application for Guest Credit process.

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar

Proficiency Credit by Examination

Students may petition the Head of the department responsible for a given course to receive earned hours by examination for that course. If the Department Head deems it appropriate and acceptable, the student will be given the means to demonstrate knowledge and performance of the course material at a level no less than an average student enrolled in the course. Specific performance expectations for proficiency exams are set by the individual departments. If such demonstration is successful, the course credit hours are awarded to the student as earned hours by examination and will be indicated on the student’s transcript.  A student may not use the proficiency credit by examination option for a course already attempted or if currently registered for the course. Students may attempt to earn credit by proficiency in a specific course only once, regardless of whether the examination is passed or failed.

Questions:  Contact the degree/program department head for the course