Kettering University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions evaluates student credentials to determine who is best qualified to pursue a degree in any of the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) or business programs offered at the university.  Emphasis is placed on applicants’ overall academic records, including grades in core academic courses (English, science and math) and college entrance exam scores. Kettering uses a holistic approach to admission, and consideration is also given to each student’s personal essay, extracurricular activities, employment history and other evidence of achievement and motivation. Kettering does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation including gender identity or expression, disability, religion, height, weight, genetic information, or veteran status.

Scholastic Preparation

Applicants must possess a high school diploma or recognized equivalency.  Applicants for first-year admission must have completed 16 credits in a college preparatory program for grades 9-12.  Credits awarded in eighth grade for ninth grade algebra and recorded on an official high school transcript may count toward one credit of algebra. To be eligible for admission, a student must complete the following courses prior to enrollment:

English Six semesters required (eight semesters recommended)
Mathematics Four Semesters - Algebra
Two semesters - Geometry
One semester - Trigonometry, often included in Algebra II and/or Pre-calculus
Science Four semesters - science with lab including two semesters of either Chemistry or Physics. Both are strongly recommended.

We encourage all applicants to complete English, science, and math courses beyond these minimum requirements. Training and experience in computer aided design (CAD) and computer science is also considered.

Beyond these minimum requirements, Kettering does not have a fixed formula for determining admission.  Admission to Kettering University is competitive and a strong record of academic achievement is expected. 

Freshman Online Applications

Students interested in admission to Kettering University must apply online. Students may apply using either the Common Application or the Kettering Application

Students are encouraged to apply in the fall of their senior year. Kettering subscribes to the following deadlines:  Early Action I - November 15; Early Action II - January 15.  Kettering University reviews files on a rolling after January 15. A completed application form, official transcripts, standardized test results (SAT or ACT), and supplemental materials, including personal essays, must all be received in order for evaluation to occur.  All credentials submitted to the Admissions Office become part of the applicant file at Kettering University, and cannot be returned to the applicant nor forwarded to any other institution.

Admitted applicants may defer enrollment for up to one year after the initial offer of admission. 

If you have any questions regarding the application process, please call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 810-762-7865.

College Entrance Examinations

Applicants for freshman admission must present scores from either the SAT or ACT. Scores should be sent directly to Kettering University from the appropriate testing agency.  Kettering’s ACT code is 1998, and our CEEB code for the SAT and TOEFL is 1246.  Students are encouraged to take examinations both during their junior year and in the fall of their senior year.  Kettering University “super-scores” all official test results received.  Students for whom English is a second language are strongly encouraged to present the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). 

Official Transcripts

Applicants must submit official transcripts and supporting information directly to Kettering University from their high school guidance offices.  Transcripts handled by students are considered unofficial and will not be evaluated.  Transcripts need to account for all high schools attended and, in the case of dual enrolled students, all colleges/universities attended (this includes all for-credit online classes).

Matriculation into Kettering is contingent upon satisfactory performance in, and completion of, all senior-level courses in which the student is enrolled.  Final high school and college/university transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  Failure to do so will impact a student’s ability to register for classes.  

Homeschool Student Applicants

Kettering University welcomes applications from homeschooled students. Students must submit the same application materials and meet the same admission requirements as all other high school students including a completed application (including essay), standardized test scores, and official transcripts developed by the home school association or by primary teachers. 

All transcripts should include: course names, credits, in progress/final grades for all grade 9-12 courses, graduation date, and a signature affirming that the transcript is the official record of academic studies.  If any high school credit was earned in a formal high school or college setting, the applicant must also supply an official transcript from that respective school.  Courses taken online or through correspondence programs should be similarly documented.  For evaluation purposes, we encourage especially clear documentation and explanation of all English, math, and science courses.  The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will contact the student’s primary educator if additional information is needed (syllabi or course descriptions, for example). 

Please note that all materials sent as part of the application become the property of Kettering University and will not be returned to the student.  Final transcripts showing a high school graduation date and/or final college transcripts must be submitted by all incoming students. Failure to do so will impact a student’s ability to register for classes.

International Student Applicants

Students who reside outside of the United States and non-U.S. Citizens living in the United States, are welcome to apply for admission to Kettering University.  Admission decisions will be based on academic achievement in secondary school and/or university studies.  International students must submit at least one of the following test results: SAT, ACT, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or MELAB.  Test results may be waived if a student has attended at least two years of school where English is the language of instruction.  Certified copies of transcripts/educational certificates and records with English translations must also be sent to the university for evaluation when the application for admission to Kettering University is submitted.  A secondary school/university-level grading scale may also be requested.  All international students must provide a financial plan for tuition and a personal essay before a final admission decision can be determined.  

Immigration Information: F-1 Student Visa Applicants

Admitted international students will receive an I-20 form with their official letter of admission.  All international students are required to present the I-20 when applying for an F-1 Student Visa and again at their port of entry into the United States.  Applicants enrolled at another U.S. institution with an F-1 Student Visa must be released from the Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) by their current institution before Kettering University can issue a new I-20 form.

Co-op Employment of International Students

Degree-seeking international students are required to participate in Kettering’s Cooperative and Experiential Education program. Students will secure co-op employment in the U.S. As is the case for domestic students, international students are responsible for work term living expenses, transportation, and personal expenses.

Transfer Student Applicants

Kettering University is transfer-friendly and encourages students with prior college experience to apply for admission. Kettering is an MTA (Michigan Transfer Agreement) university. Students who have taken any college courses after graduation from high school are considered transfer students.

Transfer students must have official transcripts sent directly to Kettering from all colleges/universities attended.  Additional information, such as high school transcripts or SAT/ACT scores, may also be requested from students who have completed less than 30 credit hours.  A list of courses in progress and the catalog(s) with course descriptions from each college attended may also be requested. 

Kettering University has formal articulation agreements with more than 40 colleges and universities, ensuring the transferability of approved courses upon satisfactory completion.  Students who successfully complete the equivalent of the first two years of Kettering courses are generally able to complete their Kettering University degree and associated co-op work experiences within three years.

Kettering University offers rolling admission and transfer students may apply at any time during the year for entry in July, October, January and April.

Scholastic Preparation

To be eligible for admission to Kettering University, transfer students must complete the following courses prior to enrollment (some of these requirements could have been completed at the high school level):

English Six semesters required (eight semesters recommended)
Mathematics Four semesters - Algebra
Two semesters - Geometry
One semester - Trigonometry, often included in Algebra II and/or Pre-calculus
Science Four semesters - science with lab including two semesters of either Chemistry or Physics. Both are strongly recommended.

Academic Requirements for Transfer Students

Beyond the above minimum scholastic requirements, Kettering does not have a fixed formula for determining admission. However, a strong record of academic achievement is expected. Primary consideration is given to the applicant’s overall grade point average and number of credit hours taken.  A separate GPA will be calculated and evaluated specifically for English, mathematics and science coursework.  Secondary consideration is given to the student’s employment history, extracurricular activities and honors, and other evidence of ability, achievement and motivation.

A typical transfer student will have pursued 14-16 credit hours per semester of coursework similar to that which is taken by a Kettering University student.  Candidates who have not pursued full-time collegiate study and/or have followed a program that does not include the extensive study of mathematics and science will be evaluated individually on their high school and college records and their ACT/SAT test scores.

Prospective transfer students should maintain an overall grade point average of at least a “B,” with strong math and science grades – again of at least a “B”.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Courses submitted for transfer credit should be comparable in content and difficulty to those offered at Kettering University.  Applicants must provide official transcripts and may be required to provide the Registrar's Office with a college course catalog, course syllabi, or additional information for evaluation purposes. Applicants will be contacted with the results of the credit evaluation.

Suggested Courses

Transfer courses should reflect a strong background in math and science and can include general education classes common to undergraduate degree programs: 

Principles of Chemistry
and Principles of Chemistry Lab
COMM-101Written & Oral Communication I (Composition & Speech)4
ECON-201Economic Principles (Micro and/or Macro)4
MATH-101Calculus I (Differential Calculus)4
MATH-102Calculus II (Integral Calculus)4
Newtonian Mechanics
and Newtonian Mechanics Laboratory (Calculus-based)
Electricity and Magnetism
and Electricity and Magnetism Laboratory
History, Literature, Philosophy, etc. (300+ level)4

Transfer of Experiential and Cooperative Education Work Experience

Transfer students entering Kettering with less than Junior 1 (JR1) standing who have participated in another comparable college-level cooperative and experiential education program, or those who have significant work experience related to their Kettering University degree program, may be eligible to transfer these experiences towards their co-op degree requirements.  Students should contact the Cooperative and Experiential Education Office at 810-762-9846 to determine the documentation necessary to transfer a maximum of two work terms (only applicable toward freshman-sophomore requirements).

Additional Requirements for Admitted Students

Enrollment Deposit

All admitted students must submit a $300 enrollment deposit in order to confirm enrollment to Kettering University and hold their seats in the class.  This money will be credited towards tuition.  The enrollment deposit is fully refundable until May 1, 2019.

Math Placement Examination

The Mathematics Placement Examination (MPE) may be required of incoming freshmen and transfer students.  Students who have received transfer credit, or Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate credit for Kettering’s introductory calculus course, MATH-101 will be exempt from the exam.  See below for more information concerning AP and IB credits. Additionally, students who score high on math subsections of college entrance exams may also be exempted from the Mathematics Placement Exam. 

Health, Counseling, Disability Services & Health Insurance Information 

Prior to enrollment, all students must complete a wellness assessment inquiry. All medical information is treated confidentially and cannot be released without the student’s knowledge or written consent. The Kettering University Wellness Center uses this information to create a continuous record of student wellness care. Within the inquiry, all students must answer the TB screening questions and submit documentation, if needed. Information on what to do about physical and/or mental health concerns, including disability accommodations are addressed directly with the Wellness Center staff via email at  

Kettering University requires all enrolled students to carry health insurance.  Students are automatically enrolled into the Kettering Student Health Insurance Plan.  International students are required to purchase the Health Insurance Plan and are enrolled upon arrival to campus. Domestic students must provide proof of insurance annually online to a third party, Consolidated Health Plans (CHP), to waive out. Check the website for the annual deadlines to submit health insurance information.  Students who fail to provide proof of health insurance through the verification process will remain enrolled in the Kettering Student Health Insurance Plan and will be responsible for associated costs. The University will make no exceptions.   

Kettering University does not require a medical examination prior to enrollment. However, some co-op employers may require such an exam as a condition of employment or due to particular working conditions.

Cooperative and Experiential Education Employment Process

Accepted students are eligible to begin the co-op employment search process in the spring of their senior year of high school. Students need to have a Kettering-approved resume and are encouraged to work with their assigned Co-op Manager. The Cooperative and Experiential Education Office may begin forwarding the resumes of applicants who have made enrollment deposits to potential co-op employers starting as early as January. Careful attention is given to the student’s objec­tives, needs and preferences, as well as to employer criteria. 

Companies may choose to interview applicants based on academic performance, employment history and extracurricular activities and honors. Factors influencing final selection include communication skills, leadership potential, a desire for a career in the industry, and the capacity to acquire the necessary academic and practical background for a future position of responsibility. Information concerning the interviewing process is available from the Cooperative and Experiential Education Office at 810-762-9846.

Housing Contract

In recognition of the educational value of an on-campus living experience, the Kettering University Board of Trustees has officially adopted an on-campus residency and meal plan requirement. All first-year students are required to live in Thompson Hall and have a full meal plan during school sections. Students who transfer to Kettering University, who are under 21 and unmarried, and who have not yet had a one year, on-campus residential experience must also reside in Thompson Hall and have a full meal plan for their first two academic terms at Kettering University. Waivers may be requested by writing an email to Students must complete their housing contracts before moving onto campus.

International Baccalaureate Credit

Applicants seeking International Baccalaureate (IB) credit should have an official IB transcript sent directly to Kettering's Office of Undergraduate Admissions.  Credit will be granted for passes at the "IB Standard Level” (SL) in Computer Science only.  Credit will be issued for passes at the "IB Higher Level” (HL) according to the IBO table below. Kettering University awards credit for IB scores of 5, 6 or 7 for physics and biology when the full IB diploma has been earned.

IBO Exam Required Score Credits Granted Kettering Course Number
Biology (HL) 6, 7 4 BIOL-241 & BIOL-242
Chemistry (HL) 5, 6, 7 4 CHEM-135 & CHEM-136
Computer Science (HL) 5, 6, 7 8 CS-101 & CS-102
Computer Science (SL) 5, 6, 7 4 CS-101
Economics (HL) 6, 7 4 ECON-201
English (HL)1 6, 7 4 HUMN-297
Foreign Language - Any (HL)1 5, 6, 7 4 LANG-297
History (HL) 6, 7 4 SSCI-297
Mathematics (HL) 5, 6, 7 4 MATH-101
Philosophy (HL)1 5, 6, 7 4 PHIL-297
Physics (HL) 6, 7 4 PHYS-114 & PHYS-115
Social & Cultural Anthropology (HL) 6, 7 4 SSCI-297
Sociology (HL) 6, 7 4 SSCI-297

Advanced Placement Credit

Applicants who have completed Advanced Placement (AP) courses are encouraged to take the College Board AP Examinations.  The below chart indicates scores needed to receive Kettering University credit.  Students should have an official AP transcript sent to Kettering directly from the College Board AP Program.  AP credits do not override prerequisite requirements.  

Advanced Placement Exam Required Score Credits Granted Kettering Course Number
Art History1 4, 5 4 ART-297
Art Studio 2-D Design1 4, 5 4 ART-297
Art Studio 3-D Design1 4, 5 4 ART-297
Biology2 4, 5 3 and 1 BIOL-141 & BIOL-142
Calculus AB 3, 4, 5 4 MATH-101
Calculus AB Subgrade 3, 4, 5 4 MATH-101
Calculus BC 3 4 MATH-101
Calculus BC 4, 5 4 and 4 MATH-101 & MATH-102
Chemistry 4, 5 3 and 1 CHEM-135 & CHEM-136
CHEM-137 & CHEM-136
Comparative Government and Politics1 4, 5 4 SSCI-297
Computer Science A 4, 5 4 CS-101
Computer Science Principles1, 2 4, 5 4 CS-297
English Language and Composition1 4, 5 4 COMM-297
English Literature and Composition1 4, 5 4 HUMN-297
Environmental Science2 4, 5 4 BIOL-297
European History1 4, 5 4 SSCI-297
Foreign Language and Culture - Any1 4, 5 4 LANG-297
Foreign Literature and Culture - Any1 4,5 4 HUMN-297
Human Geography1 4, 5 4 SSCI-297
Macroeconomics3 4, 5 4 ECON-201
Microeconomics3 4, 5 4 ECON-201
Music Theory1 4, 5 4 MUS-297
Physics C, Part I-Mech 4, 5 3 and 1 PHYS-114 & PHYS-115
Physics C, Part II-E&M 4, 5 3 and 1 PHYS-224 & PHYS-225
Psychology1 4, 5 4 SSCI-297
Research1 4, 5 4 LS-297
Seminar1 4, 5 4 LS-297
Statistics2 3, 4, 5 4 BUSN-271
U.S. Government and Politics1 4, 5 4 SSCI-297
U.S. History1 4, 5 4 HIST-297
World History1 4, 5 4 SSCI-297

Course counts as a free elective in all degree programs.


Seek department advisement for the curriculum requirement application.


This AP course can count as ECON-297 (Free Elective) if student already has credit for ECON-201.

NOTE: The course numbers 297 shall be used to admit credit for AP courses that are not equivalent to existing Kettering courses.

Admission of Non-degree Seeking Students

Non-degree Students (Guest students at Kettering University)

Kettering University welcomes students who wish to enroll in course specific courses for their own enrichment or for transfer to other degree programs. Students enrolled in other institutions may demonstrate their eligibility by presenting a completed guest application from their home institution.  Students must submit the guest application to the Office of Admissions at least two weeks prior to the start of the term.  Non-degree students receive transcripts and full academic credit for courses successfully completed.  However, not more than 72 hours of such credit may be accepted for enrollment in a regular degree program.  Non-degree enrollment is limited to two courses each term. Contact the Admissions Office for more information, or 810-762-7865.

Dual/Early Enrollment

Kettering University offers exceptional high school students an opportunity to experience university academics at our nationally recognized university through the State of Michigan guidelines for early enrollment or dual enrollment programs. Scholarships are awarded to students who qualify.This program is available to any 11th and 12th grade student who meets Kettering’s registration requirements listed below. The student/parent is responsible for all costs associated with early enrollment at Kettering University. Through dual enrollment, the student’s high school pays a portion or all of the tuition. State guidelines and the high school determine the course eligibility and the amount of tuition the high school is responsible to pay. No application fee is required. Admission to this program is for fall (October - December) and winter (January - March) terms only.  Two courses per term are allowed.

Dual/Early Enrollment Registration Requirements

The following must be submitted for course registration:

  • High School transcript with 3.2 G.P.A.
  • Completed application and registration form.

Registrations are approved by the Admissions Office based on available space.

Dual/Early Enrollment – Scholarship

A scholarship is awarded to a student who is admitted to Kettering University as an early or dual enrollment student.

Dual Enrollment Worksheet

This worksheet below shows the cost of attending Kettering University for the 2017/2018 academic year. Check or credit card remittance of the student portion of the bill is due before the start of the first day of class.

For one, four (4) credit course: 

Kettering Tuition $5,668
Less Scholarship (2,760)
Net Kettering Cost (tuition)1 2,908
Less High School Payment (varies when applicable)

Includes student access to Kettering University’s Recreation Building, Library and Tutoring Services. Fees are waived. Does not include books/supplies.

Questions about admission of non-degree seeking students including early/dual enrollment can be directed to the Admissions Office at or 810-762-7865.