Kettering University Catalog
Kettering University is a national leader in STEM education. Founded in 1919 by a group of Flint leaders with a vision for transforming the automobile industry, Kettering University today offers 14 undergraduate degrees, 5 graduate degrees, and a variety of concentrations and minors that allow us to deliver an education that couples theory and practice better than any other institution in the world.
Kettering's programs are consistently ranked in the top-tiers in Michigan and nationally.
“Our rankings are not only a testament to our dedicated and talented students and faculty, but they also recognize the excellent outcomes produced by the unique ways in which we infuse applied, experiential educational opportunities for students across the entire curriculum,” said Kettering University President Dr. Robert K. McMahan. “Our faculty challenges our students to pursue excellence. But our students are also immersed during their entire undergraduate career in the practice of their field of study through meaningful, professional co-op experiences and research opportunities. This combination of deep learning and extraordinary practice leads to truly magnificent outcomes for our students, and these rankings reflect that fact.”
In 2015, the United States Department of Education released a revamped College Scorecard that took into account average earnings of graduates and graduation rate. Kettering's programs consistently the best in Michigan and in the top-tier nationally. Below are specific rankings related to the Scorecard:
- Fifth nationally and first in Michigan among four-year engineering programs;
- First nationally and first in Michigan among four-year computer science programs;
- 15th nationally and first in Michigan among four-year biological science programs;
- Second nationally and first in Michigan among four-year physical science programs;
- First nationally and first in Michigan among four-year mathematics programs;
- Second nationally and first in Michigan among four-year business programs.
- Kettering University was listed 10th in a 2015 CNN Money article ranking the top 10 private universities in the country for return on investment.
- Ranked 15th nationally in non-Ph.D. engineering programs; seventh nationally in non-Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering programs; 23rd among all Midwestern universities according to 2016 U.S. News and World Report ‘Best Colleges.’
- 2015 ‘Best in the Midwest’ designation by the Princeton Review.
- Kettering University ranked No. 137 on Business Insider’s 2014 list of the ‘600 Smartest Colleges in America’ list.
- Kettering University is ranked No. 1 in the Midwest and 12th nationally in ‘Return on Investment’ according PayScale.com’s 2015 rankings.
- PayScale.com ranked Kettering University alumni No. 1 in Michigan and 59th nationally in earning potential in their 2014 rankings.