Kettering University Catalog
Kettering University is a national leader in STEM education. Founded in 1919 by a group of Flint leaders with a vision for transforming the automobile industry, Kettering University today offers 13 undergraduate degrees, six graduate degrees, and a variety of concentrations and minors that allow us to deliver an education that couples theory and practice better than any other institution in the world.
Kettering's programs are consistently ranked in the top-tiers in Michigan and nationally due to a unique and proven approach to experiential education. All undergraduate students alternate between terms on campus that include hands-on classroom and lab experiences and co-op terms in which they are employed in paid professional positions with one of approximately 600 industry partners or work full-time on intensive research alongside faculty.
Kettering’s facilities include the only autonomous vehicle proving ground on a college campus in the country, a crash safety center and high-tech lab and research equipment that undergraduate students get access to from the moment they arrive on campus. Kettering faculty have received more Major Research Instrumentation grants from the National Science Foundation than any university in Michigan since 2012 and are among the leaders in the United States in being awarded these grants, which have dramatically enhanced the University’s research capabilities.
Kettering University’s applied education model has resulted in graduates who are in demand. More than 98 percent of Kettering graduates are employed or accepted to graduate school within six months of graduation.
Recent rankings and designations include:
- Kettering University was ranked 14th nationally in non-Ph.D. engineering programs in the 2018 U.S. News and World Report ‘Best Colleges’ edition.
- Kettering University alumni are 33rd nationally in Salary After Attending’ in the U.S. Department of Education’s College Scorecard. Specific academic programs had the following College Scorecard rankings:
- Kettering’s Business graduates are 12th nationally in Salary After Attending
- Kettering’s computer science graduates are 14th nationally in Salary After Attending
- Kettering’s mathematics graduates are 14th nationally in Salary After Attending
- Kettering’s physical sciences graduates are 16th nationally in Salary After Attending
- Kettering’s biological sciences graduates are 16th nationally in Salary After Attending
- Kettering’s engineering graduates are 17th nationally in Salary After Attending
- In a study profiled in The Economist, Kettering University ranked fourth in the country in producing alumni who hold patents.
- Kettering University was ranked first in the country in career preparation in a 2017 survey conducted by The Wall Street Journal.
- Kettering University received a 2018 ‘Best in the Midwest’ designation from the Princeton Review.
- The Washington Monthly ranked Kettering fifth in the Midwest in its 2017 ‘Best Bang for the Buck’ college rankings.
- Kettering University was first in the Midwest and 24th nationally in PayScale.com’s 2018 Return on Investment rankings.
- Kettering University received a ‘Military Friendly Schools’ designation from Victory Media in 2017.
- Kettering University’s Mechanical Engineering program was ranked sixth nationally by College Factual.