Academic Catalog


Academic Terms

The Kettering University on-campus schedule operates on four 11-week terms per year. Graduate students are expected to complete two academic terms, an internship (or an optional academic term) and take one non-study term per academic year.  Several example schedules are shown below.

Example Plan of Study without Thesis:

First Year Fall 8 credits coursework
Winter 8 credits coursework
Spring Internship or 8 credits coursework
Summer Non-Study or Internship term
Second Year Fall 8 credits coursework
Winter 8 credits coursework
Spring 0-4 credits coursework

Example Plan of Study with Thesis (MSEN-Mobility Systems or MSEN-Mechanical Engineering students): 

First Year Fall 8 credits coursework
Winter 8 credits coursework
Spring Internship or 8 credits coursework
Summer Non-Study or Internship term
Second Year Fall 8 credits coursework
Winter 4 credits coursework + Thesis 1
Spring Thesis 2

Example Plan of Study with required Thesis (MSEN-Computer or Electrical Engineering students):

First Year Fall 8 credits coursework
Winter 8 credits coursework
Spring Internship or 8 credits coursework
Summer Non-Study or Internship term
Second Year Fall 8 credits Directed Research
Winter 8 credits Directed Research
Spring 0-4 credits coursework and Thesis Defense

Example Plan of Study without Thesis, taking summer classes:

First Year Fall 8 credits coursework
Winter 8 credits coursework
Spring 8 credits coursework
Summer 8 credits coursework
Second Year Fall 8 credits coursework

Auditing a Course

Occasionally, a student may wish to attend a course without earning credit (for example, to refresh course knowledge).  This arrangement is called ‘auditing’ a course.  Audited courses are listed on a transcript with the grade AU (audit) and no credits earned.  Audited courses incur regular tuition fees; however, audits are not considered part of a course load for academic or financial aid purposes, which means that students cannot count audited credits toward a full-time student status, or receive financial aid for an audited class.

A student needs the course instructor’s permission to audit a course.  Students who want to audit a course must complete a Request to Audit Course Form, have it signed by the course instructor, and submit it to the Office of the Registrar during the drop/add period specified on the academic calendar.  Audits cannot be charged to a regular enrollment after the drop/add period noted on the academic calendar.

Students who choose an audit option are expected to attend the audited class and complete all course requirements (with the exclusion of the tests).  If the students do not meet attendance requirements for the course, they earn the grade of WN (withdrawn for non-attendance).  Once a WN grade is issued, the student may no longer attend or participate in the class.  AU and WN grades do not affect the term and cumulative grade point averages.

Enrollment Status/Verifications

Enrollment Status

8 or more credits, or THS1, THS2,  or Internship Course (ENGR-693 or MGMT-693)  = Full Time
4-7 credits = Half Time
1-3 credits = Less Than Half Time

Enrollment Verifications may be obtained through the Office of the Registrar.  Enrollment verifications confirm a student’s enrollment status (full-time, half-time, less than half-time) and expected graduation date.  

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Graduate Program Extension Policy

Overly long times-to-degree are costly to both students and the University, for a variety of reasons. Indeed, timely progress is a sign of intellectual vigor, competence and commitment.  Therefore, students have up to six years to complete all requirements for the Master’s degree at Kettering University.  If a student cannot complete the degree within the six-year time limit, they must request an extension.  To be considered eligible for a time extension, the student must 1) demonstrate satisfactory progress towards the completion of the degree and 2) receive endorsement or approval from the Graduate Program Advisor and/or the Department Head.  

Items that must be addressed on the Time Extension Request include:

  1. The reason(s) for the request.
  2. An explanation of how the student’s circumstances have changed to enable them to now complete the degree.
  3. An agreed upon plan and timeline for completion of the degree.

If approved, the student must complete the program requirements as outlined on the approved Program Time Extension form.  During the extension, the student must meet with the Program Director periodically to ensure that adequate progress towards degree completion is being maintained.

Appeal Process

If the Graduate Program Advisor and/or Department Head will not approve a request for extension, the student may appeal to the Graduate School.   In such cases, the Graduate Dean will confer with the Graduate Council to examine the extension request.  If the Graduate School is not able to approve the request, the student may make a final appeal to the Provost.

Questions: Contact the Graduate School at

Independent/Directed Study

In order to increase the scope and flexibility of course offerings, many departments offer courses under the designation of Independent or Directed Study. A student who desires a course not normally offered or not available during a given term should approach the instructor in whose discipline the course would normally fall to discuss the possibility of an Independent or Directed Study. If the instructor agrees, a written proposal may be required from the student, specifying the reading and/or research to be undertaken, reports or rests to be used for grading purposes, number of meetings per week, number of credits to be awarded, etc.

Independent Study

An independent study is a unique topic in a specific area of study not offered in an existing course. Requirements and meeting times are arranged by the instructor and student. A student must request and receive approval for an independent study through the instructional department. This is done by completing an Independent Study Form stating the independent study name and description, and obtaining all required signatures. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of the drop/add period specified on the published academic calendar.

Directed Study

A directed study is a course listed in the undergraduate catalog but not scheduled during a given term. It is done on a one-on-one basis with an instructor for that course. A student must request and receive approval for a directed study through the instructional department. If approved, the department will notify the Registrar's Office to create the course no later than the last day of the drop/add period specified on the published academic calendar. 

Questions:  Contact the department offering the course


Registration is the process by which a student enrolls in a specific course(s) during a specific term. Registration for courses occurs after the application/admission process is complete and the student has been granted admission. Students cannot receive credit for a course for which they have not registered. Students must register for courses every term they wish to take classes.

Students must register online via Banner Web. Registration instructions can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.

Students registered for courses will receive an e-mail notification to their Kettering e-mail account with instructions on how to log into Banner Web to retrieve their official invoice.  This invoice will confirm enrollment and denote the required tuition.  Detailed payment information will be in the email and on the invoice.  Payments can be made online or by mail.

Course Selection

Selection of courses is the responsibility of each student. The student is personally responsible for being aware of prerequisite coursework and choosing program courses accordingly. To assist with your planning, program curricula is available online or in this catalog for each Kettering graduate program. The responsibility for deciding how many courses to take in a term is solely the student’s, however, a normal course load is one or two courses. Kettering University advises against heavier loads except for resident students who are not employed.

Curriculum Restrictions

A student may take no more than four (4) courses numbered below 600-level to count toward their Master’s degree.

Questions: Contact the Program Advisor

Repeating a Course

A graduate student who receives a failing grade in a required course should retake the course as soon as possible. If the student is unable to take the next course offering, or should the course not be available when the student registers, the student may take other classes keeping in mind the Graduate School GPA requirements.  Should the student fail the same course twice, they must appeal in writing to the Graduate Appeal Committee to retake the course for a third and final time.  The decision of the Graduate Appeal Committee will be final.  

The option to retake a failed required course can only be utilized for one course requirement in a degree program.  Students who fail a course and then subsequently fail another but different course will be dismissed from the program.

Graduate students may also retake one course in which they have not met the scholastic standards of Kettering University's Graduate School (earned a grade lower than a B-) to improve their cumulative GPA.

Students electing to repeat a course will be subject to the following conditions:

  • Students planning to repeat a course in which they received a grade above "F " should consult with the Graduate School as the repeated course may not be eligible for scholarship or tuition support.
  • Courses taken for undergraduate credit at Kettering University may not be repeated at the graduate level.  Furthermore, Kettering undergraduate courses cannot be counted as graduate credit except as approved per the BS/Master policy guidelines.
  • Courses taken after degree conferral cannot be used for a GPA adjustment.
  • Once a repeated course has been passed satisfactorily the most recent passing grade for that course will be used to calculate the student’s cumulative GPA.
  • Course withdrawals (W grade), incomplete courses (I grade), and courses completed as Credit/No Credit (CR/NC grades) are not eligible for the GPA adjustment.
  • A student’s grade in the original course may not be a result of academic misconduct as documented through the Office of Student Life.
  • All occurrences of the course along with associated grades will remain on the student’s academic record as well as on the official transcript

Transfer Credit

The maximum number of graduate credits for which a person may receive transfer credit is eight (8) credit hours. Credit is only considered for courses with a grade of B or better. All requests for transfer credit should be for graduate-level courses (taken for graduate credit) significantly similar to a specific course within the student’s program.

To apply for transfer credit, the student must complete the Application for Transfer Credit Form and submit an official transcript from an accredited institution, plus a course description and syllabus. There is a processing fee of $5.00 (U.S.) per credit hour, or $20.00, for each 4-credit course. This fee is based on the number of credits for replacing the Kettering course, not the credits of the course being transferred in (i.e. a 3-credit course from another institution, is a 4-credit KU course equivalent).

Questions: Contact the Graduate School at for more information.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses

Students taking graduate level courses are not automatically admissible to the graduate program. They still have to meet all published admissions requirements.  Note:  Courses taken for undergraduate credit at Kettering University may not be repeated at the graduate level and count towards the graduate program.  Furthermore, graduate level courses taken at Kettering University for undergraduate credit may not count as graduate credit except as approved per the Accelerated Master's policy guidelines.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit

Students enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at Kettering University may request registration in a Kettering graduate level course for undergraduate credit.  To do this, students must: 

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses for Graduate Credit

Students enrolled in an undergraduate program at Kettering University may request registration in a Kettering graduate level course for graduate credit. Undergraduate students may take up to three graduate courses for graduate credit while an undergraduate student (no more than two per term). 

Students are eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • They are enrolled in an undergraduate program at Kettering University
  • They are in good academic standing
  • They have a minimum of 120 earned credits
  • They are enrolled in no more than 20 credits, unless qualified to take 24 credits.

In order to receive graduate level credit, students must do the following:

  • Complete and receive instructional department and degree department approvals on the Undergraduate Request to take Graduate Course Form and submit the form to Registrar’s Office for proper registration.
  • Earn a grade of B or better in the course taken.

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar


Course Withdrawals

When circumstances occur whereby a student feels that completion of a course is not possible or in the student’s best interest, the student may request a non-punitive grade of W (Withdrawn) be issued by the Registrar’s Office. Such requests will be accepted and honored during the course withdrawal period specified on the published academic calendar. After the course withdrawal period, the student may not withdraw from the course and is committed to receiving a Kettering University letter grade. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course must submit a written request using the Graduate Program Course Withdrawal Form.  Refunds or reduction of tuition are made according to the published schedule in the graduate catalog.


Late Withdrawal – Medical/Compassionate (After 7th Week)

A late medical/compassionate withdrawal request may be made in extraordinary cases. These cases are severe illness or injury (medical) or a significant personal situation (compassionate) preventing a student from continuing their classes and where incompletes or other arrangements with the instructors are not possible.  

The usual consideration is for a complete term withdrawal. All applications for withdrawal require thorough and credible documentation. Requests for less than a complete course term withdrawal must be specifically documented to justify the selective nature of the partial medical or compassionate withdrawal.

All requests for medical and compassionate withdrawals must be made through the Wellness Center. Each request is reviewed, but they are not automatically approved. The Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students will determine the status of a case based on the documents provided. When requesting either of these withdrawals, students must provide the following:

  • A written statement summarizing the circumstances and providing detailed information regarding the request.

  • Medical withdrawal requests must include supporting documentation from a licensed healthcare professional detailing the following:

    • The date of onset.

    • Dates of treatment.

    • The general nature of the condition.

    • How and why it prevented completion of coursework, including the last date of class attendance.

    • This documentation must be on official letterhead and specific to this request.

    • Prescriptions and similar types of documentation will not be sufficient.

  • Compassionate withdrawal requests must have documentation pertinent to the precipitating event. For example, a compassionate withdrawal request to care for a seriously ill family member may require information similar to a medical withdrawal. Other required documentation may include police reports, legal documents, airline ticket receipts, newspaper clippings, death certificates, etc.

Students considering a request for medical or compassionate withdrawals after the course withdrawal period specified on the academic calendar should consult with the Director of the Wellness Center as soon as possible. 

After the regular course withdrawal deadline, no refunds apply to approved medical or compassionate withdrawals. Withdrawal requests are submitted during the term during which the hardship happens.  


University Withdrawal

Withdrawing from the University requires a written request to the Office of the Registrar at

Withdrawal due to Active Duty

Students may withdraw from the University and receive a 100% tuition refund upon presenting to the Registrar, the original Armed Forces orders. Non-punitive grades of W will be issued. Should the call come during eighth week or later, in the judgment of the instructor and the student, a grade of Incomplete (I) may be given with no reimbursement of tuition. Course work then would be completed per arrangements agreed upon by the instructor and student.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Leave of Absence

The Graduate Student Leave of Absence (LOA) Policy assists and encourages students to return and complete their degree after up to two consecutive terms of absence from Kettering University.  Eligible students are encouraged to take advantage of the benefits provided by an LOA, e.g., no need to apply for readmission and ability to participate in their regularly scheduled registration/enrollment period upon return to the University.  Refer to the Leave of Absence Request Form for more information and instructions.   

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar