Academic Catalog

Graduate Admissions

Residence Hall sunset view of the Campus Center and Academic Building

To be admitted into Kettering University as a Graduate Student, a prospective student must select a graduate degree or certificate program, fulfill all specific admission requirements as laid out for each program, complete an online application, arrange for transcripts for all undergraduate work to be sent from all universities/colleges previously attended (official transcripts are required prior to matriculation), and arrange for test scores and/or additional documentation to be sent directly to Kettering University as necessary. All materials should be submitted electronically (preferably) or by mail (if necessary). 

Admission into a graduate program is only offered after all parts of an application have been received, and have been appropriately evaluated. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Once evaluated, applicants will be notified of the admission decision. If granted program admission, the student may then proceed to subsequent steps necessary for visa processing (if necessary), class registration, and matriculation. In addition to meeting published requirements of University degree and certificate programs, students with limited undergraduate backgrounds may be required to correct such deficiencies by completing courses which serve as prerequisites to graduate work. Students will be notified of these prerequisites at time of admission. Kettering does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation including gender identity or expression, disability, religion, height, weight, genetic information, or veteran status.

The Kettering University Graduate School has multiple start dates each year and applications may be submitted at any time. Program start dates will be determined based on date of acceptance, program availability, and student preference. Start dates for all academic programs may not be available every term. Admitted applicants may defer enrollment for up to one year after the initial offer of admission. 

Admission Requirements


Complete Kettering University's application for On-Campus Graduate Students

Grade Point Average

A Bachelor degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university/college, or its international equivalent, is required for acceptance into a graduate program. Admission generally requires an individual to possess a minimum undergraduate overall grade point average that meets or exceeds a 3.0 on a 4.0 Grading Scale, or international equivalent. Applicants with a lower grade point average may be admitted based on other outstanding credentials (work history, for example). International applicants with a three-year undergraduate degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis.


All students applying for admission must submit undergraduate transcripts for all previous academic work directly to Kettering University from accredited U.S. colleges/universities or international equivalents. International applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for initial review, however official and final transcripts are required prior to matriculation. International students may also be asked to submit English-language translations and/or a professional credential evaluation. Kettering University undergraduate students must submit an unofficial Kettering transcript and transcripts from any other university attended.

Letters of Recommendation

Two letters of recommendation are required for all on-campus degree program applications. Certificate programs do not require letters of recommendation. Letters should be submitted within the online application, or by email or mail, to

Admissions Office
Kettering University
1700 University Avenue
Flint, MI 48504-6214


A resume/CV is a mandatory part of an on-campus degree program application. Resumes should be submitted within the online application, or by email or mail. Certificate programs do not require a resume/CV.

Notification of Admission

Applicants will be notified by email of the Admissions Committee’s decision. Once Kettering University has received your application and all supporting documents, please allow approximately four weeks for processing, evaluation, and delivery of notification.

On-Campus Graduate Programs

The following Master Degree programs are available on-campus at Kettering University:

  • Master of Business Administration (MBA) - with Certificates
  • Tech MBA - with Certificates
  • Master of Science in Applied Data Science and Data Analytics
  • Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) – Computer Engineering
  • Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) - Electrical Engineering
  • Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) - Mechanical Engineering
  • Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) - Mobility Systems
  • Master of Science in Engineering Management (MSEM) - with Certificates
  • Master of Science in Operations Management (MSOM) - with Certificates
  • Standalone graduate certificate programs are available on the Kettering campus in Flint, MI and in Troy, MI
  • Applicants wishing to pursue any of the Master of Engineering (MENG) programs offered in Troy, Michigan should refer to the Master of Engineering catalog and MENG application

Additional application requirements by program

MBA, Tech MBA, MSEM and MSOM Applicants

Students entering Kettering University School of Management (SoM) degree programs must have specific prerequisite undergraduate courses completed, with a passing grade of "C" or better. Applicants without this background may complete required prerequisite foundational course(s) at Kettering University. Contact the School of Management with questions about prerequisite requirements and foundational courses at

MS in Engineering Management (MSEM) Applicants

MSEM applicants must have a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an approved ABET-accredited engineering or computing program, or international equivalent. All Kettering University graduates are eligible except those with degrees in management or business.

Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) Applicants (Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mobility Systems)

Applicants for the MS in Engineering (MSE) programs in the College of Engineering (CoE) must submit transcripts of their Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline from an ABET-accredited program, or international equivalent. 

Generally, GRE (General Exam) scores are required for successful applicants to the MSE programs at Kettering University. However, the GRE requirement may be waived for students with an undergraduate degree from Kettering University, or for applicants with particularly strong academic backgrounds and/or work histories. The Graduate Admissions Committee reserves the right to either request or waive GRE scores on a case-by-case basis. Test scores should be sent directly to the Kettering University Admissions Office using Kettering University's institution code: 1246. If asked to choose a department code, please choose the one that best fits your intended program. GRE scores more than two years old are not valid.

Standalone Graduate Certificate Applicants

Applicants for a standalone (not attached to a degree program) Graduate Certificate must complete an online application and submit a final transcript documenting completion of an appropriate undergraduate degree. 

International Student Applicants

Students who reside outside of the United States and non-U.S. Citizens living in the United States are welcome to apply for admission to Kettering University. 

While unofficial transcripts with English translations are acceptable for initial evaluation, official transcripts must be provided prior to matriculation. Official transcripts/educational certificates and records with English translations must be sent directly from the applicant’s undergraduate and graduate school(s) to Kettering University. A course-by-course professional credential evaluation of undergraduate transcripts may be requested from students who obtained their Bachelor's degree outside of the United States. Kettering accepts evaluations from companies recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluating Services (NACES). Kettering University will only evaluate transcripts in English. All fees for credential evaluation and/or English-language translation are the responsibility of the applicant. Additionally, a university grading scale may be requested to facilitate grade point average conversion and application review. Before matriculating, all international students must provide official and final transcripts from all institutions/universities previously attended.

English Language Proficiency

Students from non-English language speaking countries may be conditionally admitted based on academic merit with the understanding that English proficiency standards must be met before full matriculation into a degree-seeking program. To demonstrate English-language proficiency, students should submit at least one of the following test results: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT or TOEFL Essentials), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo. International students may have testing waived if they have earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution. International applicants may have testing waived if they have attended an accredited U.S. college or university for one calendar year or two academic semesters (24 credit hours minimum) with a minimum 3.00 grade point average. Students may also demonstrate competency in Kettering University's ESL Program or by completing an ESL program offered by an approved ELS center. Evidence of English-language proficiency may be deemed invalid two years after the last relevant test date or date of enrollment.   

Professionals in industry with significant work experience in a primarily English-speaking country, who are university graduates outside of the United States or without proof of English-language proficiency (above), are strongly encouraged to submit scores from an English-language proficiency exam.

Applicants may be required to participate in an additional spoken interview to assess English-language proficiency. Kettering University reserves this right to interview applicants regardless of any/all evidence of English-language proficiency submitted.  

Immigration Information

Before matriculating, all international students who intend on attending Kettering University on a visa must provide a copy of a valid passport.

Applicants requiring an F-1 visa must also provide a Statement of Financial Support for on-campus programs. Before Kettering University can issue a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (Form I-20), applicants must document their ability to meet all educational expenses* for the first year of study:

  • Completed Kettering University Affidavit of Financial Support form.

  • Documentation including statement(s) from legitimate financial institution(s) reflecting the minimum dollar amount detailed in the Affidavit of Financial Support.

  • Copy of valid passport.

*Medical insurance, including repatriation and evacuation coverage, is required for all international students and must be purchased through Kettering University.

Admitted international students meeting the above requirements will receive an I-20 form, which must be presented when applying for an F-1 Student Visa and again at their port of entry into the United States. Applicants enrolled at another U.S. institution with an F-1 Student Visa must complete Kettering's Transfer-In form and be released from the Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) by their current institution before Kettering University can issue a new I-20 form.

Financial Support- Graduate Assistantships and Graduate Scholarships

Upon admission into an on-campus graduate degree program, the Office of the Dean of Graduate School and Sponsored Research may offer financial support in the form of a Graduate Scholarship and/or Graduate Assistantship. In these cases, the financial support award will be included in the offer of admission. Graduate Scholarships and/or Graduate Assistantships are awarded based on the academic merit of each application, at the time of application review. No additional applications are required.

Graduate Assistantship for On Campus Programs

The Kettering University Graduate Assistantship (GA) program was established to meet the following goals:

  • Develop strong bonds between graduate students and faculty.
  • Support the research enterprise and instructional mission.
  • Prepare graduate students for productive careers.
  • Provide financial support for graduate students.

Graduate Assistants are assigned to work with an individual faculty member performing duties such as grading, assisting in a faculty member’s teaching/research lab, or supporting a student technical team. In addition, all GAs are required to participate in and complete training modules offered by the Graduate School as part of the appointment.

To be eligible for the GA program, students must be currently admitted and in good academic standing or have accepted admission to an on-campus graduate program. GA appointments are competitively awarded subject to the availability of program funding.

Interested students should contact the Graduate School at for more information.  

Financial Aid 

Some financial aid programs may exist for graduate students. Students who wish to apply for financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office for more information at: 800-955-4464 ext. 7859 or

Financial Aid Eligibility

  • Must be at least half-time or more to be considered for aid.
  • Certificate courses are not eligible for aid - the cost of a non-degree certificate course is not included in the Cost of Attendance when determining a financial aid package.
  • Students who receive tuition assistance or reimbursement from their employer should contact their financial aid advisor or email
  • International students do not qualify for U.S. federal financial aid.

Cost of Attendance (COA)

  • COA values are based on assumed enrollment for the academic year.

Federal Direct Loan (for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents)

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans: This loan is available to students through the government’s loan program.  This loan has a fixed interest rate and can be deferred while the student is enrolled at least half-time. An origination fee is deducted from the approved loan amount before disbursement. This fee is determined each year and is subject to change. Repayment on these loans begins six months after graduation or when the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. These loans have a 10-year repayment plan.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans: This loan is available to a graduate or professional student enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a graduate or professional degree.  A credit check will be performed during the application process. The maximum PLUS loan you can borrow is the cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial assistance you receive.

To qualify for the Direct Loan, students must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and submit all requested documents to the Financial Aid Office.

Private Student Loan Programs: Private student loans offered by various lenders are another source of financing your educational costs.  These loans are based on credit approval, and interest begins accruing upon disbursement of the loan.  Each loan has different terms, borrowing limits, interest rates, and other special criteria.  Additional information about private loans can be found on this website.

Health, Counseling, Disability Services & Health Insurance Information 

Prior to enrollment, all students must complete a Health Inquiry Form. All medical information is treated confidentially and cannot be released without the student's knowledge or written consent. The Kettering University Wellness Center uses this information to create a continuous record of student wellness care. All students must answer the TB screening questions and submit documentation if needed within the inquiry. Information on what to do about physical and/or mental health concerns, including disability accommodations, can be addressed directly with the Wellness Center staff via email at  

Kettering University requires all enrolled students to carry health insurance. International students are automatically enrolled in the Kettering Student Health Insurance Plan upon arrival on campus. Domestic students must annually provide proof of insurance online through Wellfleet to waive out of Kettering's Student Health Insurance Plan. Contact the Wellness Center for updates on annual deadlines to submit health insurance information. Students who do not complete a waiver will be automatically enrolled. Students who fail to provide proof of health insurance through the verification process will remain enrolled in the Kettering Student Health Insurance Plan and be responsible for associated costs. The University will make no exceptions.   

Kettering University does not require a medical examination before enrollment. However, some Graduate Internship employers may require such an exam as a condition of employment or particular working conditions.

Graduate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

In order to receive Student Financial Aid under the programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act, as amended, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress in the course of study that he/she is pursuing.

Minimum standard requirements:

  • Qualitative Measure (Cumulative GPA): Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  • Maximum time frame for degree completion: For degree completion, students who exceed 150% of the normal period to complete their academic programs are not eligible for additional Title IV assistance for the period that is in excess of 150% of the academic period normally required to complete the program of study.
  • Credits Attempted are defined as all classes for which a student received a passing grade ("C" or better), or an "F", "FN", "W", "WN" or "I"
  • Repeated courses count as credits attempted during each term the student is enrolled in the course; however, they will be counted only once as credits completed the first time a passing grade is received for the course.

Financial Aid Warning

Graduate students will be evaluated at the end of each academic term to determine if the student is meeting the standards described above. Graduate students who fail to meet the minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average standard will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the subsequent semester/period of enrollment. Financial aid can be received during the semester/term of warning. Financial aid disbursement for the next period of enrollment will be held until grades have been reviewed for the warning semester/period of enrollment of Financial Aid Warning; he/she must successfully complete the term without any failures, incompletes, or withdrawals.

Financial Aid Suspension

The Financial Aid Office will review the records of students who are on financial aid warning at the end of the term that are placed on warning. If the student is still not meeting the minimum cumulative grade point average (3.0), the student will forfeit eligibility for all federal and institutional financial aid programs.

Financial aid will be suspended until the student successfully meets the cumulative grade point average standards. The student is responsible for paying his/her own expenses, such as tuition, books, etc. and will not be reimbursed for the period(s) of financial aid suspension.

Right to Appeal

Students have the right to appeal any decision of ineligibility to continue to receive financial assistance unless they have previously been granted an appeal. Appeals must be filed within 30 days of notification that aid eligibility has been lost. An appeal should be based upon some unusual situation or condition which prevented the student from passing courses, or which necessitated withdrawal from classes. Examples of possible situations include documented serious illness, severe injury, or death of a family member.

Withdrawing from Courses

Financial Aid is based on the number of credits for which students are enrolled at the end of the refund period.  Students are encouraged to meet with a financial aid advisor before making withdrawal decisions.

Withdrawing from Kettering

For financial aid purposes, there are two types of withdrawals: complete and unofficial.

  • Complete:  Official withdrawal from the university by the student
  • Unofficial:  Federal financial aid regulations consider a student to be an unofficial withdrawal if the student receives all fail (F) grades or a combination of all fail (F) and withdraw (W) grades for the term.

Student Fails to Earn a Passing Grade in any Class

Never Attended:  If a student receives a grade of F due to not attending class, Federal Title IV aid will be adjusted for those classes never attended.

Why do we monitor students receiving all 'F' grades?

The University is obligated by federal regulation to review aid recipients receiving all 'F' grades.  The assumption behind the law is that a student receiving all 'F' grades walked away from the semester without properly withdrawing from the University.  Schools must identify students with 'F' grades within 30 days from the date final grades are posted.