Academic Policies and Regulations

All faculty and students are urged to review and understand the University’s Academic Policies and Regulations. This section is intended as a convenient reference for faculty, staff and students. It also serves as a description of the student’s academic rights and responsibilities and as a guarantee of equitable treatment for all students. Some sections may reference other sections of the catalog, when necessary. Each section also concludes with the name of the official or office to contact with questions.

Academic Advising

Academic advising represents a shared relationship between the student and his/her academic advisor and a process of continuous improvement, clarification and evaluation with the aim of assisting the student in achieving his/her goals. Each academic department has established its own system for facilitating advising processes as well as a representative academic program. In addition to following the representative program, students are encouraged to communicate regularly with an academic advisor to discuss academic matters, to determine progress toward degree completion, and to ensure that prerequisites have been satisfied and other departmental requirements have been met.

Questions: Contact the degree/program department

Academic Standing

Provisional Admission

Provisional Admission is a temporary admission status granted on a case-by-case basis that allows students to demonstrate their readiness for graduate work.  A graduate student that has been granted provisional admission will be granted full admission after completion of their first two courses with a grade of 3.0 or better.  Failure to complete the first two courses with a grade of 3.0 or better may result in dismissal from the program.

The criteria for provisional admission are uniquely determined by the departmental admissions committees, and in some cases collateral work may be required from the applicant to confirm their readiness for a specific program.


A graduate student whose cumulative grade point average falls below a 3.0 is automatically placed on academic probation. Probationary status is removed only when a graduate student’s cumulative GPA equals or exceeds the minimum of 3.0 required to earn a Master’s degree.

A graduate student who remains on probation after completing 12 credit hours since being placed on probation may be dismissed from the program. A probationary student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.5 will automatically be dismissed from the graduate program. Such dismissals may be appeals to the Graduate Academic Review Committee. Advisement regarding the appeal process to return after academic dismissal is provided through the Graduate Office.


A student may be separated from the University if he/she fails to demonstrate progress toward the degree by successfully completing a class within any consecutive two year period.

Appeal Process to Return after Academic Dismissal

After academic dismissal through the Graduate Academic Review process, students may appeal to the Graduate Academic Review Committee for readmission by submitting a letter of appeal to the Graduate Academic Review Committee via the Graduate Office one term prior to the term in which they are seeking re-admittance.

This letter of appeal for re-admittance must state the cause(s) of the student’s academic problems, changes in the student’s situation that may rectify those problems and a proposed plan of action to ensure success in the Graduate Studies Program. Students are readmitted on a probationary status for one term.

Decisions of the Graduate Academic Review Committee are final.

Questions: Contact the Office of Graduate Programs

Active Status

Students are expected to enroll in their first class within a year of their acceptance term.  Students that do not enroll within that year will have their enrollment status changed to “inactive”.  As a consequence, the student may need to reapply to the degree program.

Note: that students may also have their status changed to “inactive” if the program of study is suspended for more than two years.  If inactivated, the student will need to contact the registrar’s office to continue in the degree program.


Last Known Date of Attendance Reporting:

Kettering University does not require faculty to take attendance. However, the U.S. Department of Education requires the Financial Aid Office to differentiate students who fail a class because they quit attending from those who fail a class based on merit. Because a student could be a financial aid applicant at any point during the academic year, we must collect this information for all students, so that financial aid eligibility can be accurately determined.

The Last Known Date of Attendance Reporting Policy is necessary to appropriately assess the financial liability for students, ensure good stewardship of financial aid funds, and limit the financial liability for the university and academic consequences for the student. The amount of Title IV funds earned by a student is based on the amount of time spent in attendance by the student for that term. In addition, this is often useful in arbitrating cases when students believe they completed the process to drop or withdraw from a course.

After the drop/add period each term, a ‘last date of attendance’ notification, or ‘never attended’ notification by a faculty member will result in the automatic assignment of either a WN (withdrawal for non-attendance) grade or an FN (failure for non-attendance) grade by the Registrar’s Office. This will initiate re-evaluation of a student’s financial aid and Federal Title IV aid will be adjusted for those classes.

Student Responsibility

Students are expected to regularly attend classes in which they are enrolled. Students who decide to stop attending courses should immediately withdraw from those course(s) prior to the course withdrawal deadline specified on the academic calendar. Students who do not officially withdraw from a course (or courses) they are not attending may be reported by their instructor as having a last date of attendance. When this happens, the student will remain responsible for any financial liability, less applicable refunds they have incurred associated with the last date of attendance reported, and for any academic consequences associated with the last date of attendance reported and the assignment of the WN or FN grade.

School Responsibility

After the drop/add period each term, a last date of attendance reporting by a faculty member will result in that automatic assignment of either a grade of WN (withdrawal for non-attendance) or FN (failure for non-attendance) by the Registrar’s Office as follows:

  • A grade of WN (withdrawal for non-attendance) will be issued if the last known date of attendance is within the course withdrawal period specified on the academic calendar. A WN grade is treated the same as a W (withdrawal) grade in that it will not affect a student’s term or overall GPA.
  • A grade of FN (failure for non-attendance) will be issued if the last known date of attendance is after the course withdrawal period specified on the academic calendar. An FN grade is treated the same as a failing grade in that it will be included in a students’ term and overall GPA.
  • Once a faculty member has reported a last date of attendance, the student will no longer be able to attend or participate in the class.

Auditing a Course

Occasionally, a student may wish to attend a course without earning credit (for example, to refresh course knowledge).  This arrangement is called ‘auditing’ a course.  Audited courses are listed on a transcript with the grade AU (audit) and no credits earned.  Audited courses incur regular tuition fees; however, audits are not considered part of a course load for academic or financial aid purposes, which means that students cannot count audited credits toward a full-time student status, or receive financial aid for an audited class.

A student needs the course instructor’s permission to audit a course.  Students who want to audit a course must complete a Request to Audit Course Form, have it signed by the course instructor, and submit it to the Office of the Registrar during the drop/add period specified on the academic calendar.  Audits cannot be charged to a regular enrollment after the drop/add period noted on the academic calendar.

Students who choose an audit option are expected to attend the audited class and complete all course requirements (with the exclusion of the tests).  If the students do not meet attendance requirements for the course, they earn the grade of WN (withdrawn for non-attendance).  Once a WN grade is issues, the student may no longer attend or participate in the class.  AU and WN grades do not affect the term and cumulative grade point averages.

Auditing of Online courses offered through Kettering University Online is not allowed.

Bachelor/Master Program

These options are available only to Kettering University undergraduate students entering the MBA, Operations Management, Engineering or Engineering Management graduate programs.

Kettering University undergraduate students who desire to obtain a master’s degree may elect to complete the Bachelor/Master Program which provides students an opportunity to accelerate the process in which they earn both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree. This program is only available to Kettering University undergraduate students and leverages Kettering University’s premier academic programs. Students who are admitted into the Bachelor/Master Program will complete the same total number of Co-op work terms as conventional non-Bachelor/Master undergraduate students.

Option 1: Undergraduate (BBA/BS) Thesis

  • Students must apply before graduating (after completing 120 credit hours) or within six (6) years after obtaining their undergraduate degree.
  • The student completes the undergraduate degree, with the traditional undergraduate thesis (BS), and received the bachelor’s degree at the conventional time.
  • Up to eight (8) credits of (500-level) courses known as mezzanine courses, which were completed at the undergraduate level, are also applied to the master’s degree. (Mechanical Engineering capstone courses do not apply.)
  • Forty (40) credits remain to complete the MBA (total of 48 graduate credits) or thirty-two (32) credits remain to complete the master of science degree (total of 40 graduate credits). As an option, four (4) of these credits can be granted for an MS thesis.

Option 2: Graduate Thesis Only: No Undergraduate Thesis

  • Students must apply before starting their undergraduate thesis (i.e., before submitting their PTA).
  • Eight (8) credits granted for the graduate-level thesis, four are applied to the undergraduate degree and four are applied to the graduate degree.
  • The student will not receive the bachelor’s degree until completion of the graduate-level thesis.
  • Up to eight (8) credits of mezzanine level (500-level) courses, which were completed at the undergraduate level, are also applied to the master’s degree.
  • One course (four credits) will be waived in the graduate program.
  • Twenty-eight (28) credits remain to complete the master’s degree (a total of 36 graduate credits).
  • The MS thesis will be a more purely academic thesis driven by the faculty, but must be authorized by the student sponsor.

Grade Requirements

A minimum GPA of 3.5 is required. Students with a GPA below 3.5 may be considered on an individual basis. The degree granting department will determine acceptance.

Other Requirements

  • Both part-time and full-time MBA and MS students may qualify for this program.
  • This program is only available to students who will receive (or have received) a Kettering University bachelor’s degree.


  • For Mechanical Engineering options, please contact Dr. Raghu Echempati at 810-762-7835 or
  • For more information on this program for Business options, please contact the Department of Business at 810-762-7952 or

Computer Requirements for Students

Kettering students are expected to have reliable access to high speed Internet outside of their workplace. The following minimum hardware requirements: a Pentium processor with 512 MB of RAM, a CD/ROM drive, a printer, a color monitor with appropriate graphics card, speaker(s) and appropriate sound card, and broadband internet connection for viewing streamed video. Software requirements include a word processing package, a spreadsheet package, a Microsoft PowerPoint viewer, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. Google Chrome is required for all KUO students. Students in some classes may be required to load software. Administrative computer access may be necessary.

It is expected that you have your own computer and do not use a computer at your place of employment due to frequent limitations related to Firewalls.


A concentration is a specialized area of study within a major area of study. Concentrations appear on a student’s transcript at student declaration, and requirements must be completed at the time of graduation. A concentration is not required for all majors for graduation. A student wishing to declare a concentration must notify the Office of the Registrar to have it added to their record.

Question: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Curricula Restrictions

A student may elect no more than four (4) courses numbered below 600-level to count toward their Master’s degree.

Questions: Contact the program advisor

E-mail: Notification/Obligation to Read

All students have the privilege of having a Kettering University Google Apps e-mail account. The Kettering e-mail account is one of the official ways Kettering University faculty and staff communicate to students. Students are responsible for required actions conveyed to them through this communication vehicle, whether or not they read the message.

Kettering provides each student with unlimited e-mail server storage. Therefore, we strongly recommend that students do not auto forward to another e-mail service provider which may have less storage capacity, fewer features, and may hinder you to reply directly to the original email source.

Due to the proliferation of spam and phishing emails, be advised that you may receive emails that may request personal information such as usernames and passwords. Although it may look authentic, pretending to originate from a legitimate source such as Kettering, do not respond. Immediately delete it recognizing that a legitimate source such as the Kettering IT department would never ask you to provide information such as passwords. Be cautious regarding any unsolicited email as it may contain elements that would prove to be detrimental to your computer.

Questions: Contact Information Technology

Enrollment Status/Verifications

Enrollment Verifications may be obtained through the Office of the Registrar.  Enrollment verifications confirm a student’s enrollment status (full-time, half-time, less than half-time) and expected graduation date.  Listed below are the graduate level enrollment statuses at Kettering University:

Enrollment Status

8 or more credits or THS1 or THS2 = Full Time
4-7 credits = Half Time
1-3 credits or THS3 = Less Than Half Time

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar


Course grades are available after each term via Banner Web. Federal law prohibits communication of grades by telephone. Students may access their grade report and/or print a grade report to provide to their company by logging on to Banner Web.

Grade Description Points
C+Less than satisfactory2.3
CLess than satisfactory2.0
C-Less than satisfactory1.7
FNFailure for non-attendance0.0
WNWithdrawn for non-attendance0.0

Course Hours and Points Definitions

Quality Points = Grade x Credit Hours
GPA = Quality Points ÷ GPA Hours

Attempted hours (AHRS) – are the sum of the course credit hours for which a student has registered. Attempted hours per term is the basis for determining tuition charges and a measure of the student load.

Credit hour – represents one sixty-minute class period per week.

Earned hours (EHRS) – represent work equivalent to that defined for a University credit hour that the student has successfully completed at Kettering University, at another university or by examination. Not all earned hours necessarily apply to the specific degree program being pursued by the student.

Grade Point Average (GPA) – is computed for each term individually and cumulatively. In either case, the weighted GPA is computed by dividing the total quality points earned by the total quality hours accumulated.

GPA hours (GPA-HRS) – are equal to the credit hour value of the course and are awarded only for course work taken at Kettering University. Only course work resulting in GPA hours is used in computing a student’s grade point average (GPA).

Quality Points (QPTS) – are a computational value used to compute a student’s grade point average (GPA). The quality points earned for a given course are equal to the credit hour value of the course multiplied by the numerical equivalent of the letter grade.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Grade Changes

Grades (except incompletes) reported by an instructor are considered permanent and final. However, requests for a change of grade after an instructor reports final grade will be honored to correct an error in calculating or assigning that grade. To facilitate this process, the instructor will submit to the Registrar a grade change form noting the rationale for the change and what retroactive correction is to be made. This form must be countersigned by the instructor’s department head. Grade changes must be processed within one calendar year (12 months) form the last date of the term in which the course was taken. This includes incomplete grades that have been changed to a grade or have converted to a failing grade. Grade changes are not permitted after a degree has been awarded.

Graduation Requirements

Students must apply to graduate to begin the graduation process.  The time-frame to submit this application is when registering for your last term of courses.  

In order for a graduate degree to be awarded and verified by the Office of the Registrar, the following requirements must be satisfied:

  • Successfully complete all prescribed courses within the six (6) year limit. A student who anticipates not meeting the time limit must notify the Graduate Office at least six (6) months prior to the expiration of the six (6) year limit.
  • Achieve a final cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
  • Successful completion of departmental outcome assessment activities. Students in the Department of Business (MBA, MSEM, MSOM degrees) are required to participate in the ETS Major Field Test at the conclusion of their studies. Contact the Department of Business for more information.

Financial Obligations

Diplomas and transcripts are withheld until the student has satisfied all financial obligations with the University.

Final Degree Verification Letter

A final letter is sent to the student when all requirements for graduation are met. Final letters will not be issued until all grades for the graduating term are submitted and posted to the student’s record.

Degree Completion for Inactive Students with Coursework Remaining

Inactive students who wish to return to Kettering University must contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance. After ensuring there are no outstanding financial obligations to the university, the Registrar will refer such students to the appropriate Academic Department Head or Discipline Chair to develop a plan of study. The final plan will be filed in the departmental office and in the student’s permanent file in the Registrar’s Office. These students will be subject to meeting the requirements for degrees in effect at the time of readmission.


Commencement is the formal ceremony which recognizes and celebrates graduates and graduation candidates. At Kettering University, commencement is held annually at the conclusion of the spring term. Refer to the published academic calendar for the date of commencement. Detailed information including eligibility requirements is available on the Office of the Registrar website.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Incomplete Grades

For On Campus Programs

The grade of ‘I’ (Incomplete) may be issued by an instructor for any course in which the instructor deems that the work has not been completed and that it would be fair and equitable to allow the student additional time to complete the work. The conditions and terms for completion of the course are mutually agreed upon by the instructor and the student. The deadline for completion is at the discretion of the instructor but is not to exceed six months from the last day of the term in which the course was registered. If a final grade is not submitted within six months, the incomplete grade converts to an ‘F’ (Fail) on the student’s record and will be reflected in the students’ GPA. The grade of ‘F’ will be considered a permanent grade.

The incomplete grade may be extended by the instructor for up to an additional six months, or one calendar year from the end of the term in which the course was registered. To initiate an extension, the instructor will notify the Office of the Registrar in writing. The instructor is under no obligation to grant an extension. If a final grade is not submitted within the six month extension period, the incomplete grade converts to an ‘F’ (Fail) on the student’s record and will be reflected in the students’ GPA. The grade of ‘F’ will be considered a permanent grade.

A written agreement must be developed between the instructor and the student to clarify a plan for completion of the course. The student initiates this agreement by completing an Incomplete Grade Agreement Form after the incomplete grade has been issued by the instructor. The form will be filed in the Office of the Registrar as official documentation of the agreement.

Students should note that an incomplete grade does not yet reflect credit in the course. This means if a course with an incomplete grade is a prerequisite for another course, they may not register for the other course until the incomplete grade has been changed to reflect a passing grade. Prerequisite overrides are granted at the discretion of the department head for the course.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Independent/Directed Study

In order to increase the scope and flexibility of course offerings, many departments offer courses under the designation of Independent or Directed Study. A student who desires a course not normally offered or not available during a given term should approach the instructor in whose discipline the course would normally fall to discuss the possibility of an Independent or Directed Study. If the instructor agrees, a written proposal may be required from the student, specifying the reading and/or research to be undertaken, reports or rests to be used for grading purposes, number of meetings per week, number of credits to be awarded, etc.

Independent Study

An independent study is a unique topic in a specific area of study not offered in an existing course. Requirements and meeting times are arranged by the instructor and student. A student must request and receive approval for an independent study through the instructional department. This is done by completing an Independent/Directed Study Form stating the independent study name and description, and obtaining all required signatures. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of the drop/add period specified on the published academic calendar.

Directed Study

A directed study is a course listed in the catalog but not scheduled during a given term. It is done on a one-on-one basis with an instructor for that course. A student must request and receive approval for a directed study through the instructional department. This is done by completing an Independent/Directed Study Form stating the course number and obtaining all required signatures. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of the drop/add period specified on the published academic calendar.

Questions: Contact the department offering the course

Readmission to Kettering University

Student who were academically eligible to continue when they became inactive or withdrew may request readmission by contacting the Office of the Registrar.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar


Registration is the process by which a student enrolls in a specific course(s) during a specific term. Registration for courses occurs after the application/admission process is complete and the student has been granted admission. Students cannot receive credit for a course for which they have not registered. Students must register for courses every term they wish to take classes.

Course Selection

Selection of courses is each student’s own responsibility. The student is personally responsible for being aware of prerequisite coursework and choosing program courses accordingly. To assist with your planning, program curricula is available online or in this catalog for each Kettering graduate program. Since many of our degree programs are designed for people who have full-time jobs, a normal term course load is one or two courses. Kettering University advises against heavier loads except for resident students who are not employed. The responsibility for deciding how many courses to take in a term is solely the student’s.

Registration: On Campus Graduate Students

Students must register online via Banner Web. Registration instructions can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.

Students who register for classes via the web will receive an email notification to their Kettering email with instructions on how to log into Banner Web to retrieve their official billing invoice/statement the week following the close of the web registration period. This billing statement will confirm enrollment and denote the required tuition. Payment may be made by check, money order, employer voucher, or through FACTS (e-Cashier), our third-party service provider.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses

Only Kettering’s undergraduate students are eligible to take graduate courses at Kettering while still an undergrad. Please refer to the Undergraduate Programs catalog, in the ‘Registration’ section for more information.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Repeating a Course

A student who receives a failing grade must retake the course if it is required for their program. Both grades will appear on the transcript but only the second grade is used in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. A student may repeat a course only once to improve his/her cumulative grade point average.

Courses taken for undergraduate credit at Kettering University may not be repeated at the graduate level and count towards the graduate program. Furthermore, 500-level courses taken at Kettering University for undergraduate credit may not count as graduate credit except as approved per the Bachelor/Master policy guidelines.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Student Complaint Procedures

A complaint is a written or verbal expression of dissatisfaction or formal allegation against the university, its units, its employees (including faculty and staff), and/or its students.

Harassment and Discrimination

For complaints related to harassment or discrimination in the learning or work environment, refer to the Student Life section of the undergraduate catalog, under Student Conduct: Behavioral Standards.

Other Complaints

Currently enrolled students who have a complaint or issue should first try to work out the problem informally by discussing it in an honest and constructive manner with those persons most involved with the issue.  Many complaints can be resolved when a student makes an effort to honestly communication his/her frustrations or concerns.  If a student has a complaint related to a specific course he or she is enrolled in, he/she should first consult with the instructor of the course.  If necessary, the student or instructor may consult with the academic department head responsible for the course for guidance on how to best resolve the student’s concern.

For any complaints that the student cannot resolve informally with the parties involved, the student should contact either the Dean of Student (for non-academic-related issues) or the Associate Provost for Academic Support (for academic-related issues).

Student Conduct

Academic Misconduct

The mission of Kettering University rests on the premise of intellectual honesty, whether on-campus or off-campus through distance learning. Graduate students are expected to perform ethically under all circumstances. It is the policy of Kettering University to foster the qualities of fairness, openness, and intellectual honesty, and to discourage and punish dishonest behavior in any form.

Academic Terms

The Kettering University campus operates on four 11-week terms per year.


Thesis Option – MS in Engineering

A thesis option is available for designated graduate programs. The thesis replaces one or two courses run 6 weeks although several which are specified by the degree department. The thesis is required for on-campus mechanical engineering research assistants.

Master’s Thesis

Students must be participants in classes on campus during at least two of the terms in which they are working on the thesis. The degree department will specify which course(s) will be replaced by the thesis. Criteria for topic selection are up to the degree department, as are thesis-option prerequisites, if appropriate. Information about the administrative requirements for a Master’s Thesis may be obtained from the Graduate Office.

A thesis committee of at least three (3) faculty members is required. Students must obtain the written consent of the individuals who will serve on the committee, starting with the professor who will be the major advisor and chair of the committee. If a student is unable to find a professor to be the major advisor, then the student will not be able to elect the thesis option. Students are urged to form the advisory committee and gain approval of a written research proposal during their first year of graduate student and should begin work on the thesis project as soon as the proposal is approved. Registration for thesis credits requires the approval of the chair of the thesis committee. This approval is contingent upon prior approval of the research proposal by the thesis committee.

Master’s theses are theory-based and goal-oriented. The criteria for success are achievement of the research goal and production of a written thesis of publishable quality.  Questions: Contact the program advisor

Transfer Credit

The maximum number of graduate credits for which a person may receive transfer credit is eight (8) credit hours. Credit is considered for transfer for classes with grades of B or better. All requests for transfer credit should be for graduate-level  courses (taken for graduate credit) significantly similar to a specific course within the student’s program.

To apply for transfer credit, the student must complete an Application for Transfer Credit Form and furnish an official transcript from an accredited institution, plus a course description and syllabus. There is a processing fee of $5.00 (U.S.) per credit hour for transfer credit (i.e., the processing fee to transfer a 4-credit course is $20.00).

Note: Programs through the Department of Business have additional transfer credit guidelines. Refer to the individual program sections of this catalog for more information.

Questions: Contact the Graduate Office at for more information.


Course Withdrawals

When circumstances occur whereby a student feels that completion of a course is not possible or in the student’s best interest, the student may request a non-punitive grade of W (Withdrawn) be issued by the Registrar’s Office. Such requests will be accepted and honored during the course withdrawal period specified on the published academic calendar. After the course withdrawal period, the student may not withdraw from the course and is committed to receiving a Kettering University letter grade. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course must submit a written request using the Graduate Program Course Withdrawal Form.  Refunds or reduction of tuition are made according to the published schedule in the graduate catalog.

University Withdrawal

Withdrawing from the University requires a written request to the Office of the Registrar at

Withdrawal due to Active Duty

Students may withdraw from the University and receive a 100% tuition refund upon presenting to the Registrar, the original Armed Forces orders. Non-punitive grades of W will be issued. Should the call come during eighth week or later, in the judgment of the instructor and the student, incompletes may be given with no reimbursement of tuition. Course work then would be completed per arrangements agreed upon by the instructor and student.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

On-Campus Plan of Study for International students

International students will be able to utilize a summer term for internships, better aligning the graduate program with the University’s mission.  The on-campus programs operate on a calendar similar to a conventional quarter system: Fall, Winter, and Spring terms are “regular” academic terms during which students normally enroll full-time, and the Summer term is optional. 

Many variations of this plan are possible, both with or without thesis. In particular, students may begin the program in any term, not just Fall.  However, international students are required to complete two academic terms to be eligible for a non-study/internship term.  This works perfectly for students that start in Fall or Winter.  If an international student starts in Spring term, they will not be able to take an internship their first summer.  They may forego the non-study/internship term or apply to have their non-study/internship term changed to a regular academic term.  For an international student, only one non-study/internship term is allowed during the plan of study.

The non-study/internship term offers the opportunity for the student to work in an internship at a related industry, work on-campus, travel, or optionally register in further coursework.

Please refer to specific program information as you develop your plan of study.  Note that the EE and CE concentrations in the Master of Science program mandate the master’s thesis and it is non-credit bearing.  However in the other engineering concentrations the master’s thesis is optional and carries 4 credit hours. 

Also note that 8 credit hours is considered a full time load for financial aid, and for visa requirements.  Some students are successful at carrying a higher load.  Other students find that taking only one class at a time works best for them unless it creates an issue with financial aid or visa issue.

Students enrolling in the on-campus MS in Operations Management, MS in Engineering Management, and the MBA may have additional pre-requisite courses to complete that will further lengthen the plan of study.

Example Plan of Study without Thesis:

Classification Code Earned Hours
First YearFall8 credits coursework
Winter8 credits coursework
Spring8 credits coursework
SummerNon-Study / Internship term
Second YearFall8 credits coursework
Winter8 credits coursework
Example Plan of Study with Thesis:
Classification Code Earned Hours
First YearFall8 credits coursework
Winter8 credits coursework
Spring8 credits coursework
SummerNon-Study / Internship term
Second YearFall8 credits coursework
Winter8 credits coursework + thesis 1
SpringThesis defense and submission

Example Plan of Study without Thesis, taking summer classes.

Classification Code Earned Hours
First YearFall8 credits coursework
Winter8 credits coursework
Spring8 credits coursework
Summer8 credits coursework
Second YearFall8 credits coursework