Academic Catalog


To be admitted into Kettering University as a Graduate Student, a prospective student must select a graduate degree, fulfill all specific admission requirements as laid out for each program, complete an online application, arrange for transcripts for all undergraduate work to be sent from all universities/colleges previously attended (official transcripts are required prior to matriculation), and arrange for test scores and/or additional documentation to be sent directly to Kettering University as necessary. All materials should be submitted electronically (preferably) or by mail (if necessary). 

Admission into a graduate program is only offered after all parts of an application have been received, and have been appropriately evaluated. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Once evaluated, applicants will be notified of the admission decision. If granted program admission, the student may then proceed to subsequent steps necessary to register for classes and matriculate. Kettering does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation including gender identity or expression, disability, religion, height, weight, genetic information, or veteran status.

The Kettering University Graduate School has rolling admissions and applications may be submitted at any time. Program start dates will be determined based on the date of acceptance, program availability, and student preference. Start dates for all academic programs may not be available every term. Admitted applicants may defer enrollment for up to one year after the initial offer of admission. 

Admission Requirements


Applicants interested in the Master of Engineering program offered in Troy, Michigan (MENG-Troy), on the Walsh College campus, should complete this Master of Engineering application for Graduate Students

Applicants interested in the Master of Engineering program offered in China (MENG-China) must first be pre-qualified by Beacon Education. Those pre-qualified will then be directed to a specific Kettering application. All application-related documents described below should be directed to Beacon Education for initial review. 

Note: these applications are specific to the Kettering University Master of Engineering programs only. 

Grade Point Average

A Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field from an ABET-accredited program or its international equivalent is required for acceptance into the Master in Engineering degree programs. Admission requires an individual to possess a minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average that meets or exceeds a 3.0 on a 4.0 Grading System or international equivalent. Those students whose undergraduate performance resulting in a cumulative GPA below 3.0 may be admitted based on other outstanding credentials. Applicants with a three-year undergraduate degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis.


All students applying for admission must submit undergraduate transcripts for all previous academic work directly to Kettering University from accredited U.S. colleges/universities or international equivalents. International applicants may submit unofficial transcripts for initial review, however official and final transcripts are required prior to matriculation. International students may also be asked to submit English-language translations and/or a professional credential evaluation. Kettering University undergraduate students must submit an unofficial Kettering transcript and transcripts from any other university attended.


GRE scores are not required for admission. However, applicants may choose to submit official GRE scores. 


Applicants for the Master of Engineering degree programs must document a minimum of two years of professional work experience. Resumes/CVs should be submitted with the application. Kettering University graduates with a complete Kettering Co-op experience have met this requirement. 

Notification of Admission

Applicants to the MENG-Troy program will be notified by email of the Kettering University Admissions Committee’s decision. Once Kettering University has received an application and all supporting documents, please allow up to four weeks for processing, evaluation, and delivery of the notification. Contact information:

Dean of the Graduate School and Sponsored Research

+1 (810) 762-9711

Applicants to the MENG-China will be notified by Beacon Education.

Enrollment Deposit

Admitted students in the Master of Engineering program offered in Troy, Michigan (on the Walsh College campus) must submit a $300 enrollment deposit to confirm enrollment to a Kettering University Master of Engineering degree program. This deposit will be credited toward tuition but is not refundable.  

Master of Engineering Graduate Programs

The following Master Degree programs are available:

  • Master of Engineering in Artificial Intelligence
  • Master of Engineering in Electric Vehicles
  • Master of Engineering in Autonomous Vehicles
  • Master of Engineering
  • Applicants wishing to pursue an on-campus MBA, Tech MBA, MS-Engineering Management, MS-Operations Management, MS-Applied Data Science and Data Analytics, MSE-Computer Engineering, MSE-Electrical Engineering, MSE-Mechanical Engineering, or MSE-Mobility Systems offered in Flint, Michigan should refer to the Graduate catalog and the appropriate application.
  • Applicants wishing to pursue an on-campus standalone Graduate Certificate offered in either Flint, Michigan or Troy, Michigan should refer to the Graduate catalog and the appropriate application.

Applicants that are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States

In addition to the above criteria, applicants with degrees completed outside the U.S. may be required to provide the below documentation. Kettering University Master of Engineering (MENG) degree programs are not currently available to students planning to study on an F-1 visa. Students on an F-1 visa may enroll in one of the on-campus degree programs or standalone graduate certificates listed above. Please refer to the Graduate catalog and the appropriate application.

Professional Credential Evaluation and/or English-language Translations 

MENG-Troy:  While unofficial transcripts/educational certificates with English translations are acceptable for initial evaluation, official transcripts must be provided prior to matriculation. Official transcripts/educational certificates and records with English translations must be sent directly from the applicant’s undergraduate and graduate school(s) to Kettering University. A course-by-course professional credential evaluation of undergraduate transcripts may be requested from students who obtained their Bachelor's degree outside of the United States. Kettering accepts evaluations from companies recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluating Services (NACES). Kettering University will only evaluate transcripts in English. All fees for credential evaluation and/or English-language translation are the responsibility of the applicant. Additionally, a university grading scale may be requested to facilitate grade point average conversion and application review. 

MENG-China: Applicants must meet parameters and document standards set forth by Kettering University and Beacon Education.  

English Language Proficiency

MENG-Troy: Proof of English-language proficiency is required of international applicants to the Master of Engineering program offered in Troy, Michigan. Applicants from non-English language speaking countries may be conditionally admitted based on academic merit with the understanding that English proficiency standards must be met before full matriculation. To demonstrate English-language proficiency, students should submit at least one of the following test results: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT or TOEFL Essentials), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo. International students may have testing waived if they have earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution. International applicants may have testing waived if they have attended an accredited U.S. college or university for one calendar year or two academic semesters (24 credit hours minimum) with a minimum 3.00 grade point average. Students may also demonstrate competency by completing an ESL program offered by an approved ELS center. Evidence of English-language proficiency may be deemed invalid two years after the last relevant test date or date of enrollment.   

Professionals in industry with significant work experience in a primarily English-speaking country, who are university graduates outside of the United States or without proof of English-language proficiency (above), are strongly encouraged to submit scores from an English-language proficiency exam.

Applicants may be required to participate in an additional spoken interview to assess English-language proficiency. Kettering University reserves this right to interview applicants regardless of any/all evidence of English-language proficiency submitted.  

MENG-China: Proof of English-language proficiency is not required of applicants to the Master of Engineering degree offered via Beacon Education in China.

Immigration Information

MENG-Troy: International applicants currently on a visa type or immigration status other than F-1 are eligible to study and must provide a copies of their passport, and of their current visa or immigration status. Send information to

MENG-China: A copy of a passport is not required of applicants to the Master of Engineering-China. No student visa will not be processed for applicants to the Master of Engineering degree offered via Beacon Education in China.

Note: *Medical insurance, including repatriation and evacuation coverage, is required for all international students attending on-campus classes.

Financial Aid 

Some financial aid programs may exist for U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents of the U.S. Students who wish to apply for financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office for more information at: 800-955-4464 ext. 7859 or

Financial Aid Eligibility

  • Must be at least half-time or more to be considered for aid.
  • U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents must complete a FAFSA to be considered for federal financial aid. 
  • Students who receive tuition assistance or reimbursement from their employer should contact their financial aid advisor or email
  • International students do not qualify for U.S. federal financial aid.

Cost of Attendance (COA)

  • COA values are based on assumed enrollment for the academic year.

Federal Direct Loan (for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents)

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans This loan is available to domestic students through the government’s loan program. This loan has a fixed interest rate and can be deferred while the student is enrolled at least half-time. An origination fee is deducted from the approved loan amount before disbursement. This fee is determined each year and is subject to change. Repayment on these loans begins six months after graduation or when the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. These loans have a 10-year repayment plan.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans  This loan is available to a domestic graduate student enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a graduate or professional degree.  A credit check will be performed during the application process. The maximum PLUS loan you can borrow is the cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial assistance you receive.

To qualify for the Direct Loan, students must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and submit all requested documents to the Financial Aid Office.

Private Student Loan Programs  Private student loans offered by various lenders are another source of financing educational costs. These loans are based on credit approval, and interest begins accruing upon disbursement of the loan. Each loan has different terms, borrowing limits, interest rates, and other special criteria. Additional information about private loans available in the United States can be found on this website.

Health, Counseling, Disability Services & Health Insurance Information 

MENG-Troy: Students physically attending in-person classes in Troy, Michigan must adhere to any/all Walsh College policies regarding health insurance requirements, physical and/or mental health concerns, and/or disability accommodations.

Graduate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

To receive Student Financial Aid under the programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act, as amended, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress in the course of study that he/she is pursuing.

Minimum standard requirements:

  • Qualitative Measure (Cumulative GPA): Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  • Maximum time frame for degree completion: For degree completion, students who exceed 150% of the normal period to complete their academic programs are not eligible for additional Title IV assistance for the period that is in excess of 150% of the academic period normally required to complete the program of study.
  • Credits Attempted are defined as all classes for which a student received a passing grade ("C" or better), or an "F", "FN", "W", "WN" or "I"
  • Repeated courses count as credits attempted during each term the student is enrolled in the course; however, they will be counted only once as credits completed the first time a passing grade is received for the course.

Financial Aid Warning

Graduate students will be evaluated at the end of each academic term to determine if the student is meeting the standards described above. Graduate students who fail to meet the minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average standard will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the subsequent semester/period of enrollment. Financial aid can be received during the semester/term of warning. 

Financial Aid Suspension

The Financial Aid Office will review the records of students who are on financial aid warning at the end of the term that are placed on warning. If the student is still not meeting the minimum cumulative grade point average (3.0), the student will forfeit eligibility for all federal and institutional financial aid programs.

Financial aid will be suspended until the student successfully meets the cumulative grade point average standards. The student is responsible for paying his/her own expenses, such as tuition, books, etc. and will not be reimbursed for the period(s) of financial aid suspension.

Right to Appeal

Students have the right to appeal any decision of ineligibility to continue to receive financial assistance unless they have previously been granted an appeal. Appeals must be filed within 30 days of notification that aid eligibility has been lost. An appeal should be based upon some unusual situation or condition which prevented the student from passing courses, or which necessitated withdrawal from classes. Examples of possible situations include documented serious illness, severe injury, or the death of a family member.

Withdrawing from Courses

Financial Aid is based on the number of credits for which students are enrolled at the end of the refund period.  Students are encouraged to meet with a financial aid advisor before making withdrawal decisions.

Withdrawing from Kettering

For financial aid purposes, there are two types of withdrawals: complete and unofficial.

  • Complete:  Official withdrawal from the university by the student
  • Unofficial:  Federal financial aid regulations consider a student to be an unofficial withdrawal if the student receives all fail (F) grades or a combination of all fail (F) and withdraw (W) grades for the term.

Student Fails to Earn a Passing Grade in any Class

Never AttendedIf a student receives a grade of F due to not attending class, Federal Title IV aid will be adjusted for those classes never attended.

Why do we monitor students receiving all 'F' grades?

The University is obligated by federal regulation to review aid recipients receiving all 'F' grades.  The assumption behind the law is that a student receiving all 'F' grades walked away from the semester without properly withdrawing from the University.  Schools must identify students with 'F' grades within 30 days from the date final grades are posted.