Academic Catalog



Course grades are available after each term via Banner Web. Federal law prohibits communication of grades by telephone. Students may access their grade report and/or print a grade report to provide to their company by logging on to Banner Web.

Grade Description Points
A Outstanding 4.0
A- Outstanding 3.7
B+ Satisfactory 3.3
B Satisfactory 3.0
B- Satisfactory 2.7
C+ Less than satisfactory 2.3
C Less than satisfactory 2.0
C- Less than satisfactory 1.7
F Fail 0.0
CR Credit 0.0
FN Failure for non-attendance 0.0
I Incomplete 0.0
W Withdrawal 0.0
WN Withdrawn for non-attendance 0.0

Course Hours and Points Definitions

Quality Points = Grade x Credit Hours
GPA = Quality Points ÷ GPA Hours

Attempted hours (AHRS) – are the sum of the course credit hours for which a student has registered. Attempted hours per term is the basis for determining tuition charges and a measure of the student load.

Earned hours (EHRS) – represent work equivalent to that defined for a University credit hour that the student has successfully completed at Kettering University, at another university or by examination. Not all earned hours necessarily apply to the specific degree program being pursued by the student.

Grade Point Average (GPA) – is computed for each term individually and cumulatively. In either case, the weighted GPA is computed by dividing the total quality points earned by the total quality hours accumulated.

GPA hours (GPA-HRS) – are equal to the credit hour value of the course and are awarded only for course work taken at Kettering University. Only course work resulting in GPA hours is used in computing a student’s grade point average (GPA).

Quality Points (QPTS) – are a computational value used to compute a student’s grade point average (GPA). The quality points earned for a given course are equal to the credit hour value of the course multiplied by the numerical equivalent of the letter grade.

Questions: Contact the Office of the Registrar

Credit Hour Policy 

Kettering University defines a credit hour as one 60-minute class period per week. The University assigns three [3] credits to all Master of Engineering courses. 

These credit hour requirements fulfill federal definitions and regulations regarding the assignment of credit hours as follows under Section 600.2 and 600.24(f) of the Higher Education Opportunity Act:

Credit hour: Except as provided in 34 CFR 668.8(k) and (l), a credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than --- 

1. One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or 

2. At least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph (1) of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

Grade Appeal Process

The course instructor has the authority and obligation to assign appropriate grades in any course. Questions concerning an assigned final grade are to be handled through the grade appeal process. Final course grades may be appealed only if the student can demonstrate that the grading policy applied to his/her grade does not conform to the stated grading policy of the course instructor. The absence of a grading policy will be considered reasonable grounds for appeal.  Appeals should be initiated as soon as possible but no later than 12 weeks after the grade has been posted. The student’s failure to access grades does not provide an exemption from the time limitation.

Grade Appeal Process

  1. Student - The student completes a Grade Appeal Form attaching any pertinent documentation to support his/her claim. 
  2. Instructor - Within two (2) weeks of the student’s request for a grade appeal, the course instructor accepts or denies the appeal in writing.
  3. Department Head - Students who are not satisfied with the decision of the course instructor may appeal to the course instructor’s department head within 30 days of the course instructor’s response. Students appealing to the department head assume the burden of proof.  The appeal must include:  a statement of the reason the student is appealing the grade, evidence to support the appeal, the steps taken to resolve the disagreement over the assigned course grade and the resolution sought.  The department head will serve as a mediator between the student and the course instructor but cannot change a grade. The department head must respond in writing to the student, course instructor, and the dean of the college within 30 days of receipt of the appeal with the result of mediated discussion between the student and course instructor.
  4. Dean - Students who are not satisfied with the result of the discussions between the student and course instructor, mediated by the department head (step 3 above), may submit an appeal to the college dean (or graduate dean in the case of a graduate student). The student must forward all documents submitted in steps 1-3 above to the college dean (or graduate dean in the case of a graduate student).  If the dean concludes that the facts alleged by the student do not constitute grounds for appeal, the dean may dismiss the review.  The student will not be allowed any further appeal. If the dean determines that the facts alleged by the student are true, the dean shall refer the appeal to the Final Appeal Board.
  5. Final Appeal Board – The Associate Provost (or designee) will convene an appeal board comprised of the following members:  one tenured faculty member from the course instructor’s department, chosen by the course instructor; one tenured faculty member from the course instructor’s department, chosen by the Department Head; one tenured faculty member from outside the course instructor’s department, chosen by the Chair of the Promotion, Tenure and Ethics (PTE) Committee; and the Associate Provost (or designee), who does not vote, but chairs the board and handles all administrative matters.
  6. Provost - The Final Appeal Board makes a recommendation to the Provost to change the grade to a “P” for passing or keep the course instructor’s original grade.  The Associate Provost will provide a written overview of the Appeal Board’s decision to all involved parties.  The decision of the Provost represents a final University decision.

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar

Grade Changes

Grades (except incompletes) reported by an course instructor are considered permanent and final. However, requests for a change of grade after a course instructor reports a final grade will be honored to correct an error in calculating or assigning that grade.  To facilitate this process, the course instructor will submit to the Registrar an email, with the Department Head copied, noting the rationale for the change and what retroactive correction is to be made.  Grade changes must be processed within one calendar year (12 months) from the last date of the term in which the course was taken.  This includes incomplete grades that have been changed to a grade or have converted to a failing grade. Grade changes are not permitted after a degree has been awarded. 

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar

Incomplete Grades

The grade of "I" (Incomplete) is a temporary grade assigned by the instructor in cases where a student is unable to complete course requirements within the term.  The grade of “I” may be issued by a course instructor for any course in which the following conditions are met:

  1. On-campus Graduate students request "I" grade from the Instructor:  no later than 10th week Friday  
  2. The student has satisfactorily completed a substantial portion (typically about 75%) of the total coursework and has convinced the instructor of his or her ability to complete the remaining work without re-registering for the course.  It is not to be given if a student is failing the course.
  3. The student is unable to complete the course requirements within the regular time frame due to significant, extenuating circumstances which can be documented.
  4. The student and course instructor must complete an Incomplete Grade Agreement Form  that clearly states the requirements to be completed and the due date for the completion of each requirement. The form must be signed by the Department Head and filed in the Office of the Registrar as official documentation of the agreement.

Deadline for completion of the coursework:

On-campus Graduate students:  not to exceed 6 months from the last day of the term in which the incomplete was assigned. 

If a final grade is not submitted within the specified deadline for completion, the incomplete grade converts to an “F” (Fail) on the student’s record and will be reflected in the students’ GPA.   The grade of “F” will be considered a permanent grade on the student’s record.

Students should note that an incomplete grade does not yet reflect credit in the course. This means if a course with an incomplete grade is a prerequisite for another course, they may not register for that course until the incomplete grade has been changed to reflect a passing grade.

Questions:  Contact the Office of the Registrar