About Kettering University
Kettering University is a national leader in experiential STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and Business education, integrating an intense academic curriculum with applied professional experience. Through this proven approach we inspire students to realize their potential and advance their ideas by combining theory and practice better than any institution in the world. Kettering University is dedicated to achieving the extraordinary through technological innovation, leadership, and service.
Mission, Vision, and Values
Kettering University prepares students for lives of extraordinary leadership and service by linking transformative experiential learning opportunities to rigorous academic programs in engineering, science, mathematics, and business.
Kettering University will be the first choice for students and all our partners seeking to make a better world through technological innovation, leadership and service.
Respect: for teamwork, honesty, encouragement, diversity, partnerships with students.
Integrity: including accountability, transparency and ethics.
Creativity: fostering flexibility and innovation.
Collaboration: across disciplines and with all partners.
Excellence: in all we do.
Originally founded as The School of Automotive Trades by Albert Sobey under the direction of the Industrial Fellowship of Flint on October 20, 1919, Kettering University has a long legacy with the automotive industry. The university became known as the Flint Institute of Technology in 1923 before being acquired by General Motors in 1926, becoming the General Motors Institute of Technology and eventually the General Motors Institute in 1932. Sometimes referred to as the "West Point of industry," GMI focused on creating business and industry leaders through a unique cooperative education model.
GM and the University separated on July 1, 1982, and the University became an independent private university, keeping the cooperative education model and expanding the number of co-op employers for students while also offering graduate programs.
The University's name officially became Kettering University on January 1, 1998, in honor of Charles Kettering (1876-1958), a distinguished engineer, inventor, scientist, social philosopher, and humanitarian. Charles Kettering's belief that both theoretical knowledge and practical experience are necessary elements of an education made him a staunch advocate for cooperative education in the earliest years of the twentieth century.
While maintaining the cooperative education model it was founded on, Kettering University has expanded programmatic offerings, increased the number of corporate partners and employers to more than 550, and developed a reputation as one of the top applied research institutions in the country. Kettering University's programs and alumni outcomes are consistently among the most highly rated in the United States.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement
Kettering University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
Kettering University is deeply committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation including gender identity or expression, disability, religion, height, weight, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions except where religion, sex, or age are bona fide job related employment requirements.
Discrimination on the basis of race/ethnicity, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, including marital status, age, disability, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran, special disabled veteran, recently separated veteran or other protected veteran is prohibited by federal and state statutes as amended, including Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1978, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Civil Rights Act of 1991.
Inquiries or grievances may be addressed to the Director of Human Resources, Office of Human Resources, 1700 University Avenue, Flint, MI 48504, 810-762-9500.
Communication – demonstrate effective communication to a diverse range of professional audiences
- Research and analytical skills – demonstrate the ability to collect and synthesize information in ways consistent with the highest professional standards
- Ethics – develop a framework that recognizes and chooses ethical courses of action
- Leadership and teamwork – exhibit professional integrity, ethical leadership, and effective collaboration skills
- Global perspective – contribute to a sustainable world as informed by a global perspective
- Entrepreneurial Mindset – possess the skills necessary for creative and innovative problem-solving, awareness of customer needs, and opportunity recognition
The seven main buildings, Academic Building, Campus Center, the Connie & Jim John Recreation Center, C. S. Mott Engineering and Science Center, Frances Willson Thompson Hall, the Innovation Center and the University Corner Building, are set off by an attractively landscaped campus.
The Academic Building is the “historical” center of the campus. It houses classrooms, science laboratories, computer laboratories, the library, the Humanities Art Center, McKinnon Theatre, and instructional and administrative offices, comprising a total floor space of nearly 400,000 square feet.
The Campus Center is the “activity” center for the campus. It houses Kettering Dining Services, C-Store, BJ’s Lounge & Grill, the Wellness Center, television studios, WKUF, Financial Aid, Admissions, Campus Safety, recycling center, student activities areas and other administrative offices.
Kettering’s 70,000 square foot Connie and Jim John Recreation Center, located just west of the Thompson Residence Hall, has a full complement of aerobic, strength, and sports amenities, in addition to student and alumni lounges, making it the likely focus of many student and alumni social and recreational activities. It houses a six-lane swimming pool, four multi-purpose regulation basketball courts, four racquetball courts, and a 1/8 mile suspended indoor track. Other areas include an aerobics/dance room, a free-weight room, and a fitness/exercise room that overlook the pool and gymnasium.
The C. S. Mott Engineering and Science Center has a total floor space of 130,000 square feet. The building houses Biochemistry, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, and alternative energy and automotive laboratories. Student project areas are provided, including the SAE garage.
Frances Willson Thompson Hall is the on-campus residence facility for Kettering University. The facility has four floors, and is designed in a figure eight formation with two courtyards. It is divided into 17 units of 17-37 residents. Common spaces include multiple lounges/lobbies, computer labs, a community kitchen, a gaming area and laundry facilities. Each resident room is equipped with a single bed, desk and chair, wardrobe unit with shelves, and with a micro fridge and microwave. All rooms are air conditioned, heated and have access to telephone and internet. Most residents share a suite with another resident (two private rooms connected by a door). Residents share community bathrooms, which are located at the intersections of each hallway.
Campus Village Apartments, although not Kettering-operated, are located on Kettering property, and provide suite-style housing for over 200 upper-class students. Students wishing to explore the Campus Village living option should call the Campus Village rental office at (810) 232-4960.
The Innovation Center at Kettering University is an approximately 9,000 square foot multi-tenant laboratory facility that supports scientific and technologically-based “start-up” companies that have a need for dedicated research laboratories in the first three to four years of their existence. It consists of six laboratories that are capable of being divided into twelve intimate laboratories, private offices, a conference/training room, business center, break area and private shower facilities. The Innovation Center is the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certified building in Genesee County.
Einstein Bros. Bagels, located in the University Corner Building across the street from the Campus Center, provides students the option of eating breakfast and lunch using their meal plans. The 2,500 square-foot building also houses a Flint Police Service Station.
Kettering facilities are accessible to the handicapped. The majority of the campus buildings are inter-connected for ease of movement during inclement weather. Convenient parking is provided adjacent to all campus buildings.
Harris Fields, adjacent to the Recreation Center, is the 25 acre sports complex for use by Kettering students. The rectangular portion contains areas for two soccer fields or two flag football fields or two lacrosse fields. This section is lit by Musco Lighting, the premier sports lighting company in the world. Softball can be played on 4 fields, complete with backstops and crushed limestone infields. Lacrosse and soccer also utilize the outfields for club practices and games. Informal play, the popular IM Sports program and club sports all utilize Kettering Park. Students, faculty and staff are also active on the .62 mile (1K) walking/jogging path that circumscribes the sports fields.
The McKeachie picnic pavilion is a covered picnic area that features picnic tables, barbeque grilles, lighting and electrical power for student reserved or informal use. Adjacent to the pavilion are two sand volleyball courts that are very popular with students for IM play and pick up games. A synthetic grass golf green completes the outdoor recreational opportunities for students.
Numerous trees and shrubs have been planted and the complex is fenced in and the area bordering University Avenue features faux wrought iron fencing and brick columns offering a distinctive look to one of the entrances to campus. The entire complex provides a first class venue for student recreation.
The Flint River Trail is a paved trail running along the Flint River from downtown Flint to the northern edge of Flint and on to either Bluebell Beach or Stepping Stone Falls. The trail is almost continuously asphalt and is suitable for walking, jogging, and/or biking and passes through the Kettering campus.
Atwood Stadium has been an iconic landmark in the city of Flint for the past 85 years. Built on an old city dumpsite that was cleared by 3000 local volunteers in a single day, it sits right in the heart of the Flint community. Atwood has played host to many high school football games, including the Flint Northern/Flint Central series. It has also been the venue of choice for large-scale community events, such as visits from President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1936 and presidential candidate John F. Kennedy in 1960. Today, activities include all levels of football, soccer, lacrosse, health fairs, band competitions, and 10k road races.
In September 2013, Kettering University stepped up to the plate and assumed ownership of the venerable stadium in order to keep the facility from closing. Kettering is committed to maintain the traditional community uses of the stadium in addition to providing a new venue for Kettering student recreational and academic events. In August 2015, the University completed a multi-million dollar restoration project funded by the University and several community partners. Renovations included replacement of the turf with a state-of-the-art turf field that rivals numerous professional and Division 1 stadiums, restroom and concession stand improvements, concrete and masonry restorations, upgrades to the locker rooms and press box, as well as stadium lighting and fencing.
The Kettering University Alumni Carillon (Bell Tower)
The Bell Tower, also called Carillon, was erected as a part of the campus expansion in 1969, built with funds donated by GMI/Kettering Alumni and friends. At the dedication, it was noted that the structure would “serve as a dynamic symbol of identity between the alumni, students, and faculty”. The carillon consists of 47 bells arranged in four octaves. The largest bell weighs nearly one ton while the smallest bell weighs only 20 pounds. The bells, made of 75 percent copper and 25 percent tin, were cast by the 200-year-old Petit & Fritsen Foundry of Aarle-Rixtel Netherlands. Designed by Tarapata-McMahon-Paulson Associates, the Kettering Carillon received the 1971 Honor Award for design from the Detroit Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.